2WD to 4WD swap

Oldpathy

I now have 2 pathfinders a great looking 92 2WD and a beatup looking 93 4wd with a bad transmission. The 92 has half as many miles on it as the 93.

1. Is it possible to take the 4WD running gear from the 93 and put it in the 92?

2. Would it be a bolt in change?

3. How much work would be involved? I know alot.

Just wondering if its feasible.

Hey Bud. Yes, it is possible but as you suspected, it takes some effort. The fact that you have the two sitting there helps. Are they both Auto or MT ? That helps more. Depending on your answer, it could be a bolt in, but worst is to weld in some front carriers. SteeevO has done the same thing and is amost done. PM him, and search in the WD21 forum for his threads. If you can't find them, I'll dig them up in a day or two... Let me know. :beer:

B

Both are automatics, thats why I'm thinking it might be a bolt in.

I thought about swapping bodies but seems like even more work and alot of wires to contend with.

I would have one week max from start to finish to do the job.

Now are we talking 168 hours or 4 hours here, 4 hours there. Because when you add it all up... it'll be around 50 hours (a complete guess sorry for the possible inaccuracy. just trying to convey my idea). Get the idea? Extremely complicated.

Both are automatics, thats why I'm thinking it might be a bolt in.

I thought about swapping bodies but seems like even more work and alot of wires to contend with.

The quickest way to make the 2wd a 4wd is to swap the bodies over. The next quickest would be to put in a live axle. If you have the $$$$, then do that and use all the good gear from the other pathy or vise versa.

Don't stress about the wiring. The wiring looms are all fitted with connectors. Just unplug them. For the wires that you may become concerned about, use masking tape to lable them. Just make sure you get them all. Places like the transfer case, gear box and fuel tank are out of site so double check everything is disconnected before you remove the body.

About 10 strong men to lift the bodies off and on and you're done. You can even do a body lift while you are at it. :takebow:

You say you have a week, I think if you organise yourself you can have a 4wd Pathy in a weekend by swapping the bodies, EASY! And a bonus........ without a body on, the running gear will be very very easy to get to and swap over. Think about it. :beer:

EDIT: Good luck and plenty of pics.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

The quickest way to make the 2wd a 4wd is to swap the bodies over. The next quickest would be to put in a live axle. If you have the $$$$, then do that and use all the good gear from the other pathy or vise versa.

Don't stress about the wiring. The wiring looms are all fitted with connectors. Just unplug them. For the wires that you may become concerned about, use masking tape to lable them. Just make sure you get them all. Places like the transfer case, gear box and fuel tank are out of site so double check everything is disconnected before you remove the body.

About 10 strong men to lift the bodies off and on and you're done. You can even do a body lift while you are at it. :takebow:

You say you have a week, I think if you organise yourself you can have a 4wd Pathy in a weekend by swapping the bodies, EASY! And a bonus........ without a body on, the running gear will be very very easy to get to and swap over. Think about it. :beer:

EDIT: Good luck and plenty of pics.

thats what i would do, sounds imtimadating (sp?) but its pretty easy