looking for answers

El Jefe

I am not sure where I should be asking this but the garage section seemed the right place to me. w/in the last month or so I bought a 1993 XE I got it used it has no owners manual in it and I have a few questions about the accessories. On the dash below the hazard lights is a switch marked interlock what is this for? Also in the center console on the passenger side of the e-brake is a security switch, alarm on and off and an impact off setting. When I got the truck I noticed when the doors were locked or unlocked the security switch would light up and blink a few times then go out. well today it started blinking and will not go off regardless what the switch is set to.(just checked after 3 hours in the driveway) What does this switch do? thanks............newbie pathy owner! :help:

P.S. sorry for the dumb questions!

ii dinno about the switch by the handbrake.. but your "inter-lock" switch is for whether you want to depress the clutch to start your pathy or not.

example: inter-lock ON: depress clutch to start

inter-lock OFF: no need to depress clutch to start

kinda like a safety device of yer bad about leaving yer vehicle in gear then starting it and flying forward.. or to discourage stupid theives who don't know to depress the clutch.. or to stop yer kids starting yer pathy while oyu're underneath it working.... that sorta thing.. i have my inter-lock on so i have to depress the clutch.

good luck with the other question :aok:

The interlock on my '87 is a "single shot" deal.

Turn key to on, push and release button, then turn the key and it will start (once) without pushing in the clutch.

I believe the original purpose is to save your arse if you really get in trouble and stall the engine in a precarious, low traction spot.

Instead of holding the brakes, pushing in clutch, starting, and then feathering the snot out of the clutch (aka, burning it up) while easing off brakes to try to get going again, the ritual is (works best in 4WD low, of course!):

Forget about clutch - just leave it engaged. Put in 1st gear. Release brakes as much as possible (engine braking should hold), and then turn key to the start position. The starter motor will turn the engine over slowly, which will turn the wheels verrrrrrry slowly to get you going. Obviously, you can't do this for extended periods - more than a few seconds will get the poor starter motor very hot. Once you get up a bit of speed, the engine will fire and you can gently feather the throttle to maintain progress. Try it sometime (in the dirt) to see how gently it gets you going.

Really helps avoid burning up or dumping clutch too fast and digging in.

ya that interlock has saved my arse a few, if not many times...use it wisely however, holding the key over too long will fry the starter (already been down that route). anyways, try it out, get the feel for it, then use it to your advantage and let it work it's magic! (most important part: HAVE FUN)

As for the security switches, they are as follows:

impact 0n/off will let you set your alarm to off in the case of a collision when the truck is off. scenario: truck's parked outside, someone hit's it and you're not home. the alarm goes off and no one can shut it off. that's with the switch on. switch off will not set off the alarm so if the truck is hit, the alarm will not keep going and drain the battery, which would just be another pain in the arse, besides being hit.

The Alarm on/off switch is the master switch for the alarm system: i.e. if you didn't want you're alarm to work at all, while allowing you to turn it back on whenever. can't think of a situation where u'd need that off the top of my head, but im sure someone will chime in with one.

with that said, have fun and welcome to the boards! :aok:

There is a passive arming of the alarm as well (I think it applies to the 93's). If you have the alarm switch to on or impact and you lock and close your doors, it will blink rapidly for 30 seconds or so then arm itself and reduce to a slow blink. I never use it since I like to arm the alarm myself but... and here's the good part... I get a discount on my car insurance since it has a passive anti-theft system.