Another 'Smart' Crash

Pezzy

The following video contains footage of a SMART car taking on a FULL head-on collision with a concrete barier at 70MPH...

Whatch the video... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6605730767077503480

Then decide if the following is true:

Would the driver of the SMART car survive with slight injury

-OR-

Would the accident be fatal for the driver?

Discuss....

Suppose I should add my thoughts...

By the look of the cab after the fact, it looks like they'd live. However, it would be interesting just how far back the front got pushed in (legs?? feet??) By the look of that impact - I'd say there's no denying they'd be pretty damn sore. Yowsa!

I would say they would be beat up pretty good, but they would live. I should show this to my father, he dose accident reconstruction for the state patrol. Im interested to see what he has to say about that.

I suspect that one would live, but probably never walk normally again as that would shatter your legs. I could see broken ribs, internal injuries, and neck/back damage as a possibility also, but thats just a guess. I'd rather avoid the whole affair myself...

B

I'd be better off on my motorcycle just clearing the obsticle (read catapulted) sailing 100 yards and skipping/tumbling to a stop. Don't ask me how I know... :blink:

Edited by Precise1

i would suspect MAJOR injuries if a person was in that car. the car may be intact, and structurally secure, but a person can't possibly be restrained to the car seat, while the car collides with a concrete wall at 70mph without sustaining serious injury. the sheer momentum of an adult's weight at 70mph is so much, and then there is the force needed to bring that momentum to zero under a second...which is just too great for the human body to withstand without injury. my two cents =P

Wow...that's pretty remarkable. I honestly can't believe there was that little damage from that high speed of a crash.

I'm with the others that say major bodily damage would have been suffered...certainly more to the driver than the passenger. In the real world, this vehicle may have fared better if it hit another car instead of a brick wall.

Let's see head on collisions of two smart cars!

I'd be curious as to what a larger car would look like after the same crash. Way back when in drivers ed my instructor kept telling us that the only safe car was a big car Buick or Chevy. I bet the engine would end up somewhere in the vicinity of the back seat.

Edited by ticker

One of the major plusses the smart car has in crashes like this is its lighter weight; it has much less momentum. What would be frightening would be the same crash, but a head on with a Suburban. It would go from +70 to -40 MPH in an instant. That would be REALLY bad...

B

i didn't even think that thing would go 70. I don't know why they didn't throw a dummy into it just for @!*%s-n-giggles. They could have called the mythbusters. I agree with most people though, I don't think you'd be walking away from that one. Maybe on peg-legs.

Thats crazy :blink: . i think i will stick to my Pathfinder...

I'd be willing to bet serious dosh that the Smart car does a better job of protecting the front seat occupants than all but the most recent year Pathfinders....