AT Tranny Flush Q's

Harbinger

Alright, First off -- I searched, but our illustrious search function yielded nothing relavant so here goes.

My trucks been sitting for a little while parked on level ground out front of my house. The other day I pulled it into my slightly inclined driveway to air up the tires. When I moved her back into the street I noticed a coffe can size puddle of not so clean tranny fluid in my driveway. When shes parked on level ground theres no puddle.

As far as I can tell the gasket is FUBARED, but I haven't gotten an indepth look yet. So I figure I'll just flush the system and put on a new gasket right?

So any advice? I've never changed AT fluid before, and wasn't sure if I'd need to know anything past pulling the pan and filling with new fluid. Also if someone had recommendations for the proper brand/type of ATF and the capacity of these engines, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Harbinger

Usually you have to drop the exhaust crossover pipe to get the pan off. It won't come off cause it's wedged above the t-case crossmember and the exhaust. Newer Pathys with the VG30E sometimes come with a tranny pan drain plug, but I doubt yours has one. Synthetic tranny fluid is best, but spendy. Dexron III is the type to use. It will take about 10 US quarts(I think, don't have the FSM in front of me) for a complete fluid change(torque converter and tranny/pan).

Um...have fun? Heh.

I changed mine last year, 93 4WD. I did it without dropping the cross member but it was tight and I never pulled the pan completely out. The transmission filter is a joke, a piece of window screen only with bigger holes. Putting the new gasket in was the hard part, trying to keep all those holes lined up with the gasket. I used the wire trashbag ties and threaded one through each hole, worked great and made me stop swearing.

Thanks for the info guys -- If the weather or my garage will clear up I'll crawl under there and take a look. (Not to mention picking up the gasket and the 2.5 gallons of ATF).

Thanks for the wire tie tip -- Will have to try it.

By the joke of a filter do you mean that we don't have to bother replacing it? I'm assuming thats so if you didn't remove the pan completely.

Will be good to finally do some work on the truck -- its overdue. Will take a closer look at my tranny cooler situation when I do that as well.