New Shocks

Nickel-n-Dimer

Cheapo's are Monroe, mid line are Pro Comp, top end are Rancho, Bilstein, Calmini... But they all have different grades, from stock replacement to dial adjust. I have Pro Comp ES3000 (stiffer than stock) and got the package deal + a steering stabilizer for $125 delivered from 4wheelparts... So far, so good !

I'm sure I'm missing some, but others will chime in.

B

I've heard from a few shops comparable models of Pro Comp, Rancho, Trailmaster, etc. are essentially the same. Basically there are only a couple companies actually making shocks, then they re-brand as brand X, Y, Z, etc. Anyways, I've got Rancho 5000 and they are great, a bit stiffer than stock. My dad has Pro Comp 3000's on his Willys Jeep and they're great too. Pretty much, I'd bet any of the major aftermarket brands would be ok, and most of them are comparatively priced.

I replaced my stockers with Monroe's in the rear. I would have gone with a Rancho 5000, or 9000, but at the time, I had broke the mount off one of my stockers, on a Sunday, and had to get to work on the Monday. Only shocks available to me at the time were the Monroe. Anyways, they seem fine, though, they're pretty soft, probably comparable to the stock adjustables on the comfort setting. If I have a choice, when these go, I'll be going with the aforementioned Rancho's.

I've heard from a few shops comparable models of Pro Comp, Rancho, Trailmaster, etc. are essentially the same. Basically there are only a couple companies actually making shocks, then they re-brand as brand X, Y, Z, etc. Anyways, I've got Rancho 5000 and they are great, a bit stiffer than stock. My dad has Pro Comp 3000's on his Willys Jeep and they're great too. Pretty much, I'd bet any of the major aftermarket brands would be ok, and most of them are comparatively priced.

Just because some are made by the same parent company doesn't mean they are made by the same plant or even the same parts nad process. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Cheaper shocks cost less for a reason and typically that is not the sticker that comes in the box.

Ok, you totally read that wrong, sorry I was vague. I didn't mean they're passing off a $10 piece of junk for $45 because of the sticker. My Rancho's are far superior to the stock ones, and are beefier than most direct replacement types. I was aiming the comment "aftermarket" ones at the off road brands- Rancho, Pro Comp, Trailmaster, etc. etc. But sure, like anything usually, you get what you pay for.

Ok, you totally read that wrong, sorry I was vague.  I didn't mean they're passing off a $10 piece of junk for $45 because of the sticker.  My Rancho's are far superior to the stock ones, and are beefier than most direct replacement types.  I was aiming the comment "aftermarket" ones at the off road brands- Rancho, Pro Comp, Trailmaster, etc. etc.  But sure, like anything usually, you get what you pay for.

Guess I read too much into your statement, "Basically there are only a couple companies actually making shocks". But I wasn't trying to be critical, only cautioning about the difference between parent companies and various products.

I have heard some equating Monroe and Rancho because they are both divisions of Tenneco-Automotive. However, Rancho targets the off-road market whereas Monroe the pavement sector. They are both good shocks, in my opinion, but their similarity ends just after the stock holders.