Timing Set

Guest nloach

Hey guys

I am a long ways from home and I had a timing belt issue. I tore the front end apart and don't have my book with me to set the timing marks. I know that there are three marks on the belt, that must be lines up each with one mark on the cam gears, but my problem is with the crank gear. Given the initial issue I may have lost the mark on the crank gear and water pump housing (If they even existed) for me to set as my base before setting the cam gears. Could someone please help me out with this? I am pretty sure that I am supposed to line the mark on the crank gear (or keyway) with a mark on the water pump housing, then align the two cam gears with the mark on the belt. Please advise as to whether there is a mark on the crank gear and housing, as well as to where they are. Schematics would be greatly appreciated.

Naithan

Hey Bud. My Chiltons has a diagram I could post, but it is for the VG30i and what they show for the VG30E are crap photos. I'm not sure where my CD with the schematics is either. I hope you can wait till tomorrow when I look for it. If no one else chimes in and you need it tonight, let me know. I'll make it priority; it can't be far...

B

I am not sure the difference between the VG30i and my motor, but I am sure it will help. Thanks for the help. I will be awaiting the response. I am ok to wait till tommorow though for the info. Probably going to go out tomorrow afternoon to work on it again.

Naithan

Thanks for posting that guys... That seems to be the same as the VG30i diagram in Chiltons MZ. Thanks for trying Bob, I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe .pdf format...

Does that help you nloach ? I'll still look for my CD tomorrow as it pisses me off that I don't know where it is ! Let us know.

B

Hey guys.

Thanks for all the info so far. Only one more question. Do you guys know if the mark on the crankshaft gear ligns up with the keyway? I can't seen any mark on my timing gear, so I need some other reference point.

Naithan

On my 92 the key way is on the top at about 11:30 and the mark on the gear is 180' on the bottom at about 5:30.......

There were no marking on the water pump or the oil pump housing for setting it on mine.

Book says there are 40 teeth betwen the marks on the cam sprockets and 43 teeth between the timing marks ont eh left-side camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket

You woudn't be able to count the distance between the key and the notch would you? That way I can be sure with how accurate I am?

Naithan

The mark on the crank gear should be there. There is no mark on the oil pump housing. That is a myth started by Nissan..... I have never seen a mark on any oil pump housing on any of the 90 to 95 VG30Es I have worked on. Even the new replacement oil pumps do not come with a timing mark.

So the only way to be sure of the proper crank position is to measure TDC on teh #1 cyl and go from there.

Thanks for posting that guys... That seems to be the same as the VG30i diagram in Chiltons MZ. Thanks for trying Bob, I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe .pdf format...

Does that help you nloach ? I'll still look for my CD tomorrow as it pisses me off that I don't know where it is ! Let us know.

B

that's not the CD I mailed you, is it B?

Yep, sure is... I've been 'organizing' things for a while now, which means I have NO idea were anything is anymore. :blink: I know it's around somewhere, probably in the huge box of mixed CD's I started... No worries, I'll find it ! ;)

B