winch

Guest TigerHokieFan

Guest tram_bethea

Hey guys because of my stuck problem a week ago, I'm thinking about getting a winch for the Pathfinder. What should I look for in getting a winch and what are some good brands? Thanks guys.

ive heard that warn and milemarker are good. your gonna want something that can dead pull about twice your trucks weight. like a 8k-9k winch, even a 10k. you might want to get a new batt if you just have a stock one, from what i hear they can drain batteries easly. hydrolic winches are nice, no waiting for the motor to cool down. they hook to you power steering system some how.

Guest white 95 le

Warn is probably the most wide known. Although I have known people with Ramsey, Superwinch, Milemarker who swear by their brand and have never had any problems.

You will wan tto look at a battery upgrade (maybe even a dual battery system) and hi output alternator.

You want one to pull about twice your truck weight (as prior post indicated) just make sure you have a strong bumper to attach it to.

And be carefull they are and excellant tool but can be very dangerous if you are not careful (i.e. crushed fingers, projectiles, etc)

The search function on this site will pull up this exact same topic from weeks ago.

I have the Warn M8000 and it is more than enough for my Pathfinder.

You should look at buying a Gell Dry Cell battery like I eventually purchased or you will have an issue.

The factory alternator does not have enough amps on its own and replacing that will cost you big bucks, maybe more than your winch.

The Gell Dry Cell Battery cost about $110 and it will handle the situation with ease.

I have dragged a dead 1970's 4-door Cadilac that was bottomed out about 30 feet like it was nothing. Those things are heavy too.

On the alternator note, you can use a Nissan Quest alternator as a near direct replacement for the weak stock Pathy alternator. The Quest alternator is a 110 amp unit(I think). I can get one from my local junkyard for $50 to $75.

I've been thinking about checking out these winches from Harbor Freight, actually. It may be cheap, but it's brand new and should perform decently if well taken care of. At least Chicago Tools has a warranty if you should break it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40764

Guest tram_bethea

Ok I found a good winch and a battery to get. Once I get it, I am not exactly sure how to put it on. I am under the impression that it will screw into my brush guard but is that really the case? I searched around in the forums this time to see if this question had been answerd and didn't see it but if you guys have already responded to this one I appologize.

Does your brush guard have a winch tray in it? Look into the center of the guard behind the center bar, just above the bumper. Is there a flat plate inside between both side plates with holes drilled in it? That's where a winch goes.

Wow :blink:, I wasnt aware that a Warn Winch would cost as much, if not more than the ARB Bumper. My sight's are set on the ARB bumper; before I look at getting a winch. I would recomend though that you get a heavy duty bumper, or bruch guard (bull guard)............

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Tram, before going with the ARB Bull Bar, you might want to check with the TJM importer in Knoxville, TN. I was able to get a factory blem TJM winchmount Bull Bar for basically half price a couple of months ago. Even though a blem was not listed for my Pathfinder year model (91), I called and the helpful rep looked in their warehouse and called me back with an affirmative. Worth checking out...

http://www.tjmbullbars.com/sale.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I've also considered purchasing a winch. When talking with people about the best way to mount one, they suggested a frame mount, because the Pathfinder bumpers are pretty weak. My front bumper (1995 XE) crushed like a pop can after hitting a deer, so they're not made like most of the heavy truck bumpers. Has anyone mounted a winch to they're bumper/brushguard successfully? I know the Safari Guard that I bought off of AC doesn't have the means to house one. Other than somehow welding one to the frame, I don't know how else I'd get one on there that wouldn't do any physical damage. Any thoughts or ideas?

n0c

Well, of course you wouldn't bolt a winch to your bumper. It takes a brush guard or other kind of frame-mounted winch plate for that. If you had a burly, heavy duty front bumper with a 2" reciever in it, you could use a winch cradle, and it'd be swappable from front to rear. :D And yes, many other people have winches mounted in their brushguards and aftermarket bumpers, like Jim.

There are a couple of aftermarket winch bumpers like the ARB that I have which are designed to accomodate a winch. Pathfinders from 87-95 had frames that made the installation of a winch easier, but even the newer models had winch bumpers designed for this.

88 mentioned that you could use a carrier and a 2" receiver too. That is not so difficult of a installation and you do not have to carry all of that extra weight around with you all of the time. Basically, you have a 2" receiver hitch mounted under your front end and then you purchase a winch cradle/carrier that is a winch mount that holds your winch and plugs into your 2" receiver hitch when you are ready to use it. They can be pretty cool, because you can easily swap it from the front to the rear and back in just minutes. It also is always nice to be able to hook up your boat to a front hitch for precise launching or parking. The only trouble I see is if you manage to get stuck in a position that blocked the receiver opening or something. Well, that is all I have to input - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Winches are your bestest buddy when you find yourself on a trail alone somewhere and just made a seriously wrong turn. I would never give mine up...