Question about alarm.

Bob

How in gods name does it work. I dont have a owners manual to figure it out. I just found my key fob cleaning out the car yesterday if that helps out with this whole thing.

Thanks

Bob

on your center console shoule ba an alarm switch with 3 positions and a little light

OFF - the alarm is off

Impact off - the alarm is on but the impact sensors are off (not sure I fully understand this one myself)

ON - the alarm is on.

Your fob has 2 buttons... small round one is the panic button. hold it in for a few seconds and you should trigger your alarm. It'll beep a couple times first before going crazy

Othe button is not round. THis is the remote entry button. Push it and your truck (if the alarm is not off) should beep once and lock doors and arm alarm. Push it again, you should get 2 beeps, the interior light turns on, the doors unlock and your alarm is off.

If you get a nice crisp beep, that's good. If, when locking, you get a lower raspy beep, something is not closed and your alarm will not be armed.

Passive arming can be done by locking your doors and closing them. the system will arm itself after 30 seconds and chirp when it does.

I have a door switch that I think is bad because all the doors are closed and secure but I get the "door ajar" light on my dash.

Would a door switch being bad disable the security system?

The security system thinks the door is open so it can not set to enable, is my thinking right on this?

I was told by the PO that the security system in this vehicle worked. I'm not able to get it to work but than I have always had the "door ajar" light on.

Vidro, it could very well be your hatch isn't closing properly. It's a common problem, and easy fix. Either loosen the latch, on the truck, and move it in a little, or some people have just put some tape around the latch, so that the hatch closes securely.

easy to tell if the alarm is being set...

arming would be a single high 'beep'

disarming would be a double medium 'bat bat' sound

arming with a open sensor would be a single lower 'blaat'

Other way is to lock all doors and close the door. If, after 30 seconds, the system arms (beep and change in flashing alarm light), you're good. If it fails to arm, you have something open.

When I first got my 95, I could never passively set the alarm. Finally figured out that the connector the the alarm brain under the seat had a bent pin and it thought my hood was always open.

• 3 weeks later...