Tire Cable or chains for 96 Path SE

raftingkayaker

My understanding is that you get better traction with chains than with cables. However, a counter person at PepBoys said you can't use chains in a 96 Pathfinder because it would damage brake parts. Chances are I will never need to use them for my occasional trip to the slopes in Tahoe, but with my Michelin M/S rated Crossterrains, I also don't wnat to take a chance of getting stuck up there. Any input appreciated! :rolleyes:

Ordered cable chains for my 02 (16 inch wheels), they are in but the shop has no time right now to fit them (snow tire PANIC time for those who have done them yet). I am concerned that as I went up a tire size that there may be fit problems. I will post back here what happens.

Ice chains work very well but any kind of chain chains will not work on the R50 Pathy’s as there is not enough clearance around the back side of the tire.

I went with La Clede Alpine Sport chains for my '95. I had to use them last year when making a trip over the Rockies during a *nasty* storm. They worked out great and were somewhat easier to put on than cables/chains I've used in the past.

There is a body style difference between our rigs, so I can't speak to any compatibility problems. If it's possible to run chains, I'd recommend that particular type.

If it's possible to run chains, I'd recommend that particular type.

So would I but I do not think they will work on the R50, definitely not with the 16" wheels :sniff: , maybe with the 15" on raftingkayaker's?

Edited by Trainman

So would I but I do not think they will work on the R50, definitely not with the 16" wheels :sniff: , maybe with the 15" on raftingkayaker's?

Sorry...I'm a tard. I *apparently* didn't quite grasp the simple concept of "they don't work" expressed in your reply. Pardon me.

Sorry...I'm a tard.  I *apparently* didn't quite grasp the simple concept of "they don't work" expressed in your reply.  Pardon me.

:lol: No problem!

I would love to have good quality chains, like my old ice chains but no luck :sniff: . I have "chain envy" for those who can use "real" chains.

And I do not know for sure what would fit his truck as I think the 96's had 15" wheels rather than my 16".

I believe the 96's also had 16" rims.  But, quite a few came with smaller tires....so maybe that would be enough?

There has been a few posts lately from people with 96 - 98's that had tire questions, like what would fit, and they referenced 15" wheels, hence my assumption. But as usual when I assume, I just make an ass out of you and me (well, just me actually)!

235 75 15 on a 97 se?

What is the stock tire size on a 98 SE 4WD? I bought the truck w/265/70/15's .....

Thanks for all the replies! My 96 SE Pathfinder has 15 inch wheels. Current tire size is 265/70/15. (stock tire size)

Glade we can help. I hope to get my cable chains fitted today or tomorrow. I will post results (and maybe pictures) as soon as I can.

Remember, wheel size is completely independent of tire size... You can put a lower profile, narrower tire on a 16" wheel and fit chains much easier than a 15" wheel... The key thing to consider is TIRE size. My 255/70-16's are smaller than the 31x10.5-15 off road tires...

http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

Good points mws. Always check with your specific information. What does/does not work for someone may not hold true for someone else.

So got mine fitted today, did not fit, was a size or two too big. No ability to tighten the cable after a few rotations, let alone after it stretched.

Shop is going to order a smaller one, will post results then (may be 2-3 weeks as that is how long it took to get this one :huh: ).

There is JUST enough clearance between the cable clasp and shock, they need to be really tight, no flopping around at all.

Edited by Trainman