spare tire options?

Bob

Where the spare tires ever mounted inside? My spare tire rack is bent to crap and the latch no longer works. I ended up taking all of that off. The tire is now sitting in the back taking up lots of room, room that that could be used for more useful stuff, like when the GF is in the moo........anyways. Let me know. I might try to fab something up if nothing is made.

Thanks

Bob

Can Always pull a carrier off one in the Wrecking Yard. That or buy a roof rack with Safari Basket and Latch it up there. Other then that...... Tie it to a rope and drag it behind you while you drive around.

Dowser

WAVEY

Look around! Look around! Get -bounce- -bounce- get down!

Sorry, just listening to some old cd's!

I got mine for $58.00, yes $58.00 at Target on clearance. It's a Coleman. I just got done mounting my hi-lift jack up there and now getting the nut's for the bolt's to mount the tire up in the basket. I'm going to use the mount that is bolted to the rear tire sway bar. Replacing the rear tire mount with gas can mounts. Will take pic's once done.

Speaking of gas can mounts, does anyone know if the mounts that with the straps mount okay to the rear swing bars? No, it's not the $60 some dollar gas mount on AC's site. It looks like a lipped pan that mounts and a nylon strap that will tighen down over the can to keep it in place. Just curious before I order it and it won't work!

Thanks for your help! :beer:

I'm assuming that you still have the stock temporary use only spare correct? If so, yes there is a spot to put the tire in the back (maybe). Pull up the carpeting in the rear close to where the stock jack is supposed to go. If you're lucky there should be a big piece of foam or other such material in the hole where the spare tire can go. Of course you'll need a way to latch the tire down, which means going to the junkyard to find the necesary parts. But if you already have the place to mount the spare tire carrier why not just get another one? They shouldn't charge you too much and it'd be a lot more convenient than trying to get a spare off the roof (think about it: it's night and its raining and you have no cell phone coverage, would you rather get a tire off the roof, or simply pull it off the carrier?).

Also if you still have the teeny tiny temp use only spare you should really upgrade to a full size spare (junkyard once again!). The temp spare can cause damage to your differential if you use it for too long, and it's also no good if you plan on doing any four wheeling. Just my $0.02

Not having seen it, the Coleman roof rack for $58 sounds pretty good !! SC88 makes some good points about replacing the carrier and value of a full sized spare also. I'd put some effort and $ into getting it out of the back of the truck regardless of what direction you take.

B

I agree with the full size spare move. On a related note, when I got new tires last month, I kept the best of the old ones (31x10.5 BFG Mud Terrain) for a spare, and last weekend had it mounted on the stock spare rim in place of the "Temp Use Only" tire. It fit fine, and should get me home if I manage to kill one of the Pro Comps in the middle of BFE. Oh, and it mounted just fine to the exterior tire carrier. As for in or up, inside takes valuable space, but up means man-handling a heavy spare overhead, as well as raising your center of gravity even more.

Hey wheelman, that does look bitchin'! I've seen them on the back of Wranglers, so with the back paneling for the cargo area, it should be possible for SUV's. The only thing about it, lot of weight and over hang off the back of the Pathy! :shrug:

If you are going to try and fab something up, I've always thought these look cool on a truck, on an SUV it would take some work but the result would be bitchin.

home_22.jpg

I really like the looks of that. I might have to fab something up that will fit in the cargo area in the pathy like that. It might be possible to make something out of the tire rack that I pulled off. The gas tank is right below the cargo area right?