New Exhaust & O2 Sensor

Revco

My Thorley headers should be here in a few days & I'm planning a complete headers-back overhaul of the exhaust. At this time, I want to replace the O2 sensor as well. (Common sense)

My question...Does the pipe where the sensor is at typically get replaced & a new hole drilled for the sensor or is the pipe section cut out with reducers installed at either end when going to 2-1/4"+ pipe? I know Nissan has a recommended re-thread tool available for the 22mm sensor which could certainly be procured & provided to my muffler man. Any thoughts on the matter?

You can pick up O2 sensor bungs at most "good" auto parts store. In fact, your exhaust guy (if he's any good) should have some. These are kinda like a nut - threaded on the inside to screw the sensor in, but round on the outside... Just drill a hole where you want the sensor to be and weld the bung on. Done!

Try to mount sensor so the business end points down into the pipe at some kind of angle so condensation does not collect up inside the sensor.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I want *all* the old crap out. I'll make sure I pick up a bung...just to eliminate any oversights.

Any recommendations on whether I should go with the Bosch OE sensor ($$$!!!) or whether a 3-wire Bosch universal will work OK since I'm doing a complete re-fab? I'm sure I can figure out the universal wiring with a MM.

CaseyT...I just called Jeff down there and he said he's got bungs.

I'm thinking of going with the Bosch Universal (Part#15726) at Schuck's online...they've got 'em 10% off online (pick up in store) or around $40. The OE is $117...for $75 in savings, I can justify splicing 3 wires. I could prolly find it cheaper online...but with shipping it's nearly a wash.

I've looked underneath and I think I've only got one O2 sensor pre-cat. Couldn't find anything rear of the cat...it's just a straight shot into the muffler.

Update: $47.84 exactly - to be picked up in the store

Edited by Revco

Using the generic 02 sensor will work fine - once you splice it in.

Tip o' the day: The wires used between the O2 sensor and factory installed connector are NOT copper. I believe it is some kind of stainless steel or something similar. Generally NOT solderable. So unless you are comfortable with crimp connectors and have the proper crimp tool (the $50+ kind), it is kind of a pain to convert to universal.

What I do: Pick up the car side of the O2 harness off a mid 80's to 90's GM car at the junkyard and splice it into the harness on the pathy before the O2 sensor connector - it's copper on that side and you can properly solder it and heatshrink it. Now you can use the oh so typical, inexpensive, and available ANYWHERE 02 sensors for GM cars. Heck, leave the existing connector as well and you can use either one.

Good idea! I am going to be installing a 4-wire O2 in our "Frankenvan". I will try to remember to keep the digital camera nearby. I am getting a brand new sensor and harness from casperselectronics for $90. PN 103025. This same kit could be used on Pathy - just need to cut off the one wire connector and splice it in...

FYI: A 4 wire is funtionally identical to a 3 wire, except it has an additional ground wire to assure the 02 sensor circuit has a really robust reference ground.