more acceleration

solid snake

Hey all I was wondering if there is any mod that can give me more acceleration. I alreasy have a flowmaster and a k&n filter, which i do see significant impovement in h/p, but i would like to have more torque to accelerate faster. The plugs are only 3 months old, had an oil change about 2 months ago, and I run a fuel injection cleaner every other full tank of gas.

I third the header suggestion. Also, remove anything that contributes weight and is not totally necessary... Spare, spare mount, all seats other than the drivers side, any tools and parts, stereo, grill guard, rock bars, skid plates, extra lights, roof rack, etc. You could even pull out the transfer case, front driveshaft, diff, CV's etc... :P

B

Go to the L&P Proformance site and get the works... Or spend a couple $$$ on some new cams... The cheap ones are only about a grand. You could even add a Super Charger or Nos if you want.

I hear moth balls will give you a little boost...

Have you ever smelled moth balls??? .................. How did you get their little legs apart?

Also, remove anything that contributes weight and is not totally necessary... Spare, spare mount, all seats other than the drivers side, any tools and parts, stereo, grill guard, rock bars, skid plates, extra lights, roof rack, etc. You could even pull out the transfer case, front driveshaft, diff, CV's etc... :P

B

Yeah right, I want to make my pathy perform and look better, not make it unusable :)

Go to the L&P Proformance site and get the works... Or spend a couple $$$ on some new cams... The cheap ones are only about a grand.

I hear moth balls will give you a little boost...

Have you ever smelled moth balls??? .................. How did you get their little legs apart?

Yeah, this is what I want to eventually add, I saw some at jwt, but I don't have $600, to spend right now. I have never heard about the moth balls boost though. Right now most of my money, like everyone else, is going to bills, rent, and school.... pssd.....damn books!

I DO NOT recommend the moth ball idea... I've heard of it for years now and it is said to work, but most people I know that have used this method did it at the dirt track races with junky ass cars and they didn't really care what happened to'em.

I think it just makes the gas burn hotter or something. I'm sure someone knows the science behind the therory.

Check the L&P website for the supercharger info.

They don't sell a kit for it YET, but that doesn't mean you can't fab one up for yourself just like they did...

Well, if you go headers they will cost about $350 for non-ceramic coated and $440 for ceramic coated. That's the cheapest way to go. Cams are a little more money and are a little more involved. I have yet to see what the actual HP gains are for headers, but my guess is around 10. Cams will give you between 12 and 25 HP depending on what you get and who you believe. You can also get a chip which costs around $595 and that will give you more HP and torque too. The chip is by far the easiest to replace. The other options above are more labor intensive. High flow cats are good too, but I have yet to see any HP numbers associated with them. However, since I have a new exhaust, headers and the POP charger, the last bottleneck to remove is the cats.

If I ever get my truck back, I can get more of an idea of what the performance mods have really done for me. For now, they are just numbers on paper.

Oh, and don't run fuel injector cleaner ever other tank. If you get to much of that stuff, it crystalizes and forms deposits. At least, that's what my cousin who is a chemist told me.

If you want, try some of the new lucas injector cleaner. It is petroleum based instead of solvant based. Worked wonders in my Audi for gas mileage.

Also, Marvel Mystery Oil gained me 30+ miles a tank in my pathy. You can use it in your gas and oil. If there is any type of carbon buildup in the engine, this stuff will disolve it. You replace on quart of oil with MMO. My boss has a subaru with sticking lifters. He put this stuff in and it fixed it.

I DO NOT recommend the moth ball idea... I've heard of it for years now and it is said to work, but most people I know that have used this method did it at the dirt track races with junky ass cars and they didn't really care what happened to'em.

I think it just makes the gas burn hotter or something. I'm sure someone knows the science behind the therory.

Check the L&P website for the supercharger info.

They don't sell a kit for it YET, but that doesn't mean you can't fab one up for yourself just like they did...

Myth busters busted that myth.

or.. if yer feeling ambitious.. go for the Z's twin turbo set up.. I hear an extra 200 ponies *drools*

If you go the cam route..I hope oyu don;t have to smog yer Pathy if you go any bigger than one larger than stock... :(

correct me if im wrong slick, but i thought that we couldent use 300zx heads, so more than likley the manifolds wouldnet even bolt up...much less fit in the bay. so youd have to get a flange blank made for the pathy heads, then custom fab up a manifold, then re-route all the exhaust setup and also the intake charge pipe. youd have to y them into one.

and then comes the point of stepping up the fuel system and correcting the computer to see boost. TT in a pathy would be a gross waste of time and effort, and money!

as far as power...eh. its a sad reality that our pathies are pretty underpowered. i think a few tips and tricks here, but youll never get much. with all the power you dump int your rig to make it go fast you could have a real offroading machine. want acceleration and hp out of a vg30 motor? go BUY a TT 300zx.

i threw on a cone filter and did some tuning up. picks up decent but is still doggedly slow, then again pathys werent mean to be fast anyways

Yes you did hear correctly.

Take a peek.

http://www.lpperformance.com/Pics%20and%20Vids.htm

Yeah I've known about the VG30I supercharger for awhile. But considering the fact that they were saying it was going to be done very soon back in July, when they say the VG30E version will follow shortly after I take that as a year or two. I thought you guys had found one somewhere else.

Wheelman-

Check out L&P's forums....I am extremely interested in the SC project as well. See Following for answers to my Q's in a thrad over there:

Z_Pilot wrote:

So,

Are you guys working on the VG30E?

If so, are we looking at next year or later?

I am assuming that you (L&P) are selling the brackets and hardware for $1200, but the supercharger is seperate.

Is this an Eaton "screw-type" supercharger?

How much do they cost?

Sorry for all the Q's.

Z

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Well, we're working on the kit for the VG30I right now. It is VERY close. The others should follow quickly, as in within a year.

Yes, we sell you EVERYTHING to bolt it on, EXCEPT for the Supercharger. If we sold the SC as well, for warranty and liability purposes, it would have to be new. A new Eaton M90 runs about $3000 by itself. Now, we WILL offer the kit with the SC (new) as well, but that kit will run upwards of $4000, probably approaching $4500.

Yes, it uses an Eaton M90. You can find these on eBay for less than $500, sometimes under $200!!

Any more questions, just let us know!!

I don't want to make my pathy into a high end race machine, I just want a little more torque, when I step on the gas when going out of red light, or from a complete stop, my pathy seems to drag a little to get at the desired acceleration. i was just wondering if there is something out there that can give me little more boost.

Just get a chip! Easiest thing to do.

and also one of the most expensive.

we all know of the lack of power, we all wished our werent so slow, but the fact is...its just somethign you have to live with. do a little intake and maybe some exhaust work. the point here is that the engine from a 2 seater turbo car was never meant to pull around 5000lbs of 4 door mass. there is really no cost effective way to up the hp on our cars. the cheapest would be to remove excess weight or just throw on a cone filter or drop in filter for 30-40 bucks. the next up is exhast work and IMO the gain from the headers probably isnt worth it. i feel the reason most pathy owners end up swapping (esp wd21's) is because of the problems associated with our stock mani. other than that, your not gonna see much of a gain. the $ to hp ratio is vast.

believe me, we know they are slow and dog out alot. the cheapest solution to all of this is to do what most of us do...just accept the fact that the engine was mismatched to the application and the vehicle is slow as piss...and just go on driving it anyways. the 4 banger in my DSM puts out more hp than the v6 in my pathy...and weights half as much!

my suggestion is to just throw on a cone filter. much better than a drop in IMO and after you remove all the airbox and sound deadning crap associated with it...your pathy will sound MEAN! its seriously growls...i love it. much louder than the exhaust. that way you can at least SOUND like your going fast haha. seriously tho, if your looking for just a litle, do a filter. anything past that your gonna get into $300 and up per application and the need and gains to me are not justified.