performance cams

JB3829

Anyone ever consider installing performance cams when changing the timing belt. I read they'll give you about 15% more HP and increase mpg. Should the lifters be changed as well? I've only seen the cams on 4X4parts.com for $550.00. Good deal? Thanks!

Since I don't have my truck, I can't vouch for anything. If and when I get it back, I'll post some info. However, you should know that I did more than just cams. I did ceramic coated headers, the Jim Wolf Pop-Charger, new heads, new rods and rod bearings and new rings, plus the whole intake was cleaned out. It was previously filled with oil and carbon. Also had a new PCV and ERG valve installed all the hoses, etc...

When he started it, he said it sounded really nice, but I wasn't there for it. Nissan Performance Mag did a review on the Nissan Motorsports cams which were just a little bit bigger than I got and they said that it did improve mileage.

Here is the link to their project pathfinder.

Nissan Performance Magazine - Project Pathfinder

Here is the link directly to the article.

Header and Cam Install

I asked AC about their cam grinds a while back, and they implied that they came up with the specs. If and when I do it, I'm going with Wolf Tech. Not worth a few bucks to me to take a chance. I don't understand why AC isn't more forthcoming on their web site about their products. Often times they do not list the manufacturer of the part.

I don't understand why AC isn't more forthcoming on their web site about their products. Often times they do not list the manufacturer of the part.

That is exactly why I am generally hesitant about ordering from them for the most part. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love what they've done for the Nissan Aftermarket, and I have a great respect for Jane and Mike, but their website and e-shop just doesn't seem to be up to snuff.

I don't understand why AC isn't more forthcoming on their web site about their products. Often times they do not list the manufacturer of the part.

That's so you don't go someplace else and order the part. If they list the part # for say, Energy Suspension compresion rod bushings, most people would shop the web and find them cheaper. Aggrevating, but a good business move.

I've had a bad experience with AC as well as hearing about many others so I'd definately try to find other suppliers if they posted part numbers.

Funny story: I was talking with a Jeeper friend of mine about how hard it is to find aftermarket parts for Pathfinders and mentioned AC. "Is that the place in Miami or whatever?" he said. I replied and he told me a story about when he went to Moab or someplace like that and the AC crew was there too. He said that everything on their rig broke. They blocked the trail for hours while they wrenched, winched, broke, wrenched, winched, broke, wrenched, winched, broke. The Jeeper friend isn't too biased, he loves Nissans. He currently ownes an Xterra and has owned three Pathfinders so I don't think he's trying to bash the Pathy.

Often times they do not list the manufacturer of the part.

I don't think that I've ever seen them list the original manufacturer on any of the parts there. :unsure:

On one hand I'd like to support a vendor that supports the Nissan aftermarket, however, they seem a bit shady to me.