It Begins.

Vsicks Pathy

For those that are interested the relays are in and everything works fine.

As you can see, I was not able to get a late model dash. I will keep looking though. The new steering column is out of a Navara (hard body) and is much better than my old one. It is longer (better fit for a BL) and has a uni instead of a rag joint. I will post a pic if anyone is interested.

The two wires sticking out of the dash are for the rear work light. It used to have a toggle switch. I will be replacing it with a rectangular switch with a an indication light on it. Hence it is not connected yet.

fini1dm.th.jpg

The glove box is starting to get pretty cramped. All in all the job was very easy but a pain in the arse none the less. I am glad I got rid of all the joining clips I had too. Not that anyone will ever see the work I did, It's all hidden.

Relays from left to right are.......

1. Parkers

2. Low beam

3. High beam

4. Driving lights

5. Horn and

6. Rear work light.

I wired 1 2 and 3 so they will only work while the ignition is on. Not that I have ever left the head lights on before. This just assures that it can never happen. I am not sure of the legality of that though.

relays7lk.th.jpg

I still have to put the guards back on and the kick board on the passenger side before I can declare the job done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vsicks,

That looks like a fun job but I suppose it is easier than lying on your back under the dash like I did.

The relays for the headlights 'I think' are up the front right inside the guard behind battery.

I had problems and could not easily find the relays so I totally re wired the High, low, spotlights, rear work light, thermo fan and extra fan on the intercooler. All are connected to a new bank of relays on the right inner guard.

Geordie

dsc022200012ru.jpg

dsc022400033el.jpg

This old location shows a thermo fan relay. It was a hang over from the 2.4 and I never used it with the V6. One less to put in the glove box. I seriously dislike wires in the engine bay. That's why I have opted to remove as many as I can and relocate things.

oldlocation6xj.th.jpg

The Commodore relays are in the box behind the battery. They consist of... Fuel pump, air con, thermo fan, starter motor and efi. If I could move those inside the cabin I would. There isn't enough space though. Besides that, the box is water tight and there is no risk of them getting damaged.

otherrelays5ey.th.jpg

As for getting under the dash. Been there and done that. Not pleasant at all. The extra 10 to 20 minutes to remove the dash is well worth the effort.

The perplexing thing is that I did not notice the lack of relays when I did the engine swap. Then again, it was not the thing I was focused on I suppose.

It is longer (better fit for a BL)

Hey V6, What do you mean by that? The reason i was wondering. Ever since i put in my A/C 3in. body, my steering felt like it had a little to muh play in it. There was nothing in the lift kit for the steering. the directions just said if i can remember something about undo the spline bolt then tighten it back up after the lift is in. :shrug: Can you enlighten me on this :cool2:

Hey V6, What do you mean by that? The reason i was wondering. Ever since i put in my A/C 3in. body, my steering felt like it had a little to muh play in it. There was nothing in the lift kit for the steering. the directions just said if i can remember something about undo the spline bolt then tighten it back up after the lift is in. :shrug: Can you enlighten me on this :cool2:

Your steering might feel like it has play in it because of the extra hight you have. You may be mistaking you extra body roll for play. A body lift does not effect the steering directly.

What I was saying was, that with the 3" lift, the link between the steering box and column was short. Not short enough for it no ot reach, but it was at the end of its reach. The Navara (Hardbody) column is longer by an inch or two giving the apperance of a standard fit.

V6, could i replace my column with one from a hard body or would i be wasting my time because it ist that big of a deal? Thanks

It's not really required. If you want to return your steering back to an almost stock setup then do it.

I have since discovered that my new steering column fouls on my exhaust manifold when I turn the steering. So I have to put a Pathy one back in. I will post a pick later in the day.

Given the issue I have with the Navara steering column I decided to strip down the Pathy one to see if it could be saved.

Fouling on the manifld.

fouling9bo.th.jpg

The Pathy column in all of its glory.

pathycolumn3yx.th.jpg

I was able to extend the shaft and the housing.

The only thing left to do now is put it back in after I modify the section that bolts to the dash innner.

The grease denotes where the shaft was. I extended it by about 13mm.

extended2rv.th.jpg extended16zj.th.jpg

Given the issue I have with the Navara steering column I decided to strip down the Pathy one to see if it could be saved.

Fouling on the manifld.

fouling9bo.th.jpg

The Pathy column in all of its glory.

pathycolumn3yx.th.jpg

I was able to extend the shaft and the housing.

The only thing left to do now is put it back in after I modify the section that bolts to the dash innner.

The grease denotes where the shaft was. I extended it by about 13mm.

extended2rv.th.jpg extended16zj.th.jpg

So you ended up doing what the rest of us do, and extended the slip joint on the steering shaft?

So you ended up doing what the rest of us do, and extended the slip joint on the steering shaft?

Is that what you guys do? I only extened it because it colapsed after a bad landing. Can I extend it further? How far in does it go and wouldn't it be restricted by the housing?

I want to thank Mr. Pickles for getting back to me about how far you can stretch your steering column, NOT!

I had to do it like this in the end.

Remove the column.

dash8vc.th.jpg

Whie it was out again, compare it to the Navara/Hardbody column. Pathy is closest.

difference0yg.th.jpg

Stretch the column a little more.

alittlemore3zs.th.jpg

Size and clean up the new retaining plate.

newsetup7kn.th.jpg

Weld in place, drill mounting holes and paint.

ready2go8ib.th.jpg

Fit into place.

perfectfit8zv.th.jpg

This set up will not let the steering collapse slide ever again. It will still collapse in a collision but from the engine bay side. The Pathy reatainers can break very easily and the way it was setup allows it (the steering column) to collapse in toward the fire wall. This new set up is more or less the same as the Navara now.

All electrical work has finished with the installation of these.

twins3ui.jpg

Yes, twin thermo fans.

Friggin job was not as easy as I thought it would be. The fans are mounted to the radiator support panel. I used rubber grommits to insulate from any posibile vibration or noise. They work a treat.

The reason I did this was.......

I had a 16" Davies, Craig in the engine bay side attached to the radiator. You have all more than likely see the pics of it so I will not post up again.

When I put the Holden in, I moved the gear box 65mm forward from the stock position. I did that so I could remove the throttle body, if I ever needed to, without having to rip half of the donk apart to get it off. This gave me very little room between the water pump pully and the fan. In fact, the pully would touch the fan on very hard tracks when the engine had to work extreemly hard. The 16" fan is too large to fit on the side the twins are on. I even had to cut a section of the grill away for the lower fan to fit.

With the twins, 'it begins' has finally ended. :D

Almost forgot. They are 10" fans.

Any of you Aussie guys need a 16" Davies, Craig thermo fan?

You know how to get me. :beer:

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Nice job... But now that it's all done, would you do it again?... meaning was it worth the time spent..

Yes it was RP88. I like things to be in their place and am totally satisified whith how the old girl is now wired up. Not that I had anything better to do with my time at the moment. :D

Next I want to do front and rear lockers (you guys have got it so so good). But if a Commodore 5 speed comes up first I will put that in along with a divorced transfer case. The Pathy is just about done now. The only thing left after the last couple of important things is 2 new guards and a respray, black on black this time as opposed to the silver on black. I will only do this when it comes time to sell her. If that time ever comes that is. B) I am still trying for the late model dash too. I am not holding my breath though.

Thanx RP88 for your encouragement. :beer:

I want to thank Mr. Pickles for getting back to me about how far you can stretch your steering column, NOT!

Hey man, sorry, I've been busy and forgot. Besides, its covered in-depth on one of the body lift threads. Remember that search thingy? :P

Edited by RedPath88

Hey man, sorry, I've been busy and forgot. Besides, its covered in-depth on one of the body lift threads. Remember that search thingy? :P

Thats fine. I realised that you were not talking about the same thing as me. You were talking about extending the link between the box and the column and I was talking about extending the column only. :beer:

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this is after all a next step and it was mentioned.

As you may or may not know I am putting in a divorced transfercase. It is not an easy job by any stretch. Well, it's not too bad really. Just coupled with trying to get the getrag to mate up to the wrong engine and all of what that entails not to mention having to fabricate EVERYTHING from scratch....... it certainly makes it seem hard.

If anyone is contemplating a divorced transfercase I'd certainly think twice about it though. They will only just fit with a 3" BL.

The unit I chose is from a 720. I think I posted a pic somewhere but I have not been able to find it.

The Pathy has been off the road since the gearbox sh!t itself last November or December. I have been super busy and have a little time to myself for such indulgences such as the Pathy or this forum. I heard that sigh from some of you! Have you no shame?

Anyway... I thought I'd put up some progress pics to see what you lot think and to get some feedback.. perhaps?

Steel cut to shape and size. This mounting plate is also seconds as the bash plate and it is all 5mm thick.

mtplate04jw8.jpg

Some rounding off.

mtplate05bt4.jpg

Holes drilled and ready for welding.

mtplate06ga6.jpg

Next was to cut the old torsion bar crossmember up and refab it to be used for a whole new purpose. The guys at Nissan never had this in mind. lol.

xmem01ne6.jpg

Some close ups of the custom matching that took place.

xmem03af4.jpg

Each end was different. Bugger!

xmem02io6.jpg

Welded in place. Note the top section is still to be bent to shape and welded in.

xmemweld1nm9.jpg

xmemweld2nf2.jpg

I will post up some pictures of the mounting plate in place on the Pathy soon.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

On a lighter note.. I did buy my son his first car. We saw an old Kingswood (1970 model Holden) and he liked it. Without him knowing, I bought it. It needs a bit of work but it's not too bad. It is a 4.2 with an auto. He has a year and a half to work on it. I will try and find the time to help him.

son04nc1.jpg

That is my son in picture.

son03un4.jpg

son02ft4.jpg

Oh, and this is my work car that I bought last year.

workcarby3.jpg

Mods are looking good V6. Hope you get her back on the trails soon. :beer:

Hopefully soon.

I am still waiting a spigot bush to be turned for me. When that comes I can fit the gear box for the final time and make the rear xmember for it. And then she should be bullet proof.

Next will be coil overs for the front. That will be when the standard MQ diff goes in. More than likely next year.

Your Divorced t-case is sick but why a 720 case? Why not a Toyota with a 4.7 gear or something. Your fab looks great.

I used a 720 case because no one (here at least) has ever heard of one sh!tting itself. They are run behind modified everything including big V8s and take it all. The choice was an easy one... Besides that, I don't want any Toyota parts on my Nissan. :thumbsdown: