Timing belt or Plugged Exhaust System

Xtreme2Pathfinder

Okay long time, no talk to... We guys and gals, Its finally happen! I got a girlfriend and my pathfinder got jealous and quit running! It all started Wednesday night after work I noticed that the Tach intermittently would stop working. Thursday I drove it to work and then to bowling everything was find. Friday night after I got on the interstate to come home and the old girl backfired (sounded like a cannon going off) and then stumble on herself and then took off running again all at 65 - 70 mph. I got five miles down the road she didn't again and this time I notice a big rusty color smoke when she backfire, I was also to my exit and she did it again and this time she quit running altogether I was in the hammer lane trying to get over with Semi's all around I made it off the interstate on to the ramp. She wouldn't refire but would crank over. I wiggle the ecu\ecm (computer) wire and got to run.. She ran fine the rest of the way home. When I got home I looked under the pathfinder to see if anything was wrong with the exhaust system besides the y-pipe leaking. I notice that the muffler looked like it semi bent in half on the topside. Well I went out of town to visit my g\f in St. Louis in the Xtreme when I got back into and had to leave for bowling I took the pathfinder and she was running okay, she stumble a couple of time at the stop light but nothing really bad. After bowling I got a mile from the bowling alley and she stumble and backfire once again and died. Luckily I was only a couple streets down from my buddy house and they were coming out the street. We towed it to he house "thank god it was a jeep doing the pulling but a great GM Product." My question is: is it the timing belt finally gave up the ghost or could it be a plugged exhaust system... I'm leaning towards a timing belt because after the three major backfires there should be a blockage in the exhaust system.

Any help would be great...

Michael

I would look at carbon build up on the coil first. A crack in the coil second then go after the big $ stuff.

I had an Isuzu years ago and a similar thing would happen to it. At one stage it would only run at 75mph. Any slower or trying to go quicker and she would, for want of a better word, flood. It took alot of peddal balance to get it to speed again and if you got it wrong she would just die. If I let the car rest for 5 minutes it was fine again. After a while the problem would start all over again. I too thought it was a blockage. Blew up a muffler trying to remove it. A dirty coil was the problem.

My question is: is it the timing belt finally gave up the ghost or could it be a plugged exhaust system... I'm leaning towards a timing belt because after the three major backfires there should be a blockage in the exhaust system.

Neither. I believe that's an ignition problem all the way. Check all the wiring for the coil, power transistor, ECU(at the connector and under the carpet all the way up to the firewall), distributor and all the harnesses in the engine bay that have those wiring harnesses routed through them.

distributor and all the harnesses in the engine bay that have those wiring harnesses routed through them.

the above is my guess here too.. it could be fulel related also, check fuel filter.. had that happen on a domestic truck long ago..

also check the battery for corrosion...my truck will act like she has no power if theres any corrosion on the battery but not that bad...and do what 88 said as well...i was backfiring a lil so i did the cap and rotor and she quit that but nothing as extreme as what ure saying

I kind of ruled out the fuel filter because you can smell plenty of raw fuel in the throttlebody. I will how ever look at the battery cables.. They guys at work think that aaron is in the right area; they think it could be the ignition module.

I have never seen a backfire as bad as the one that put me on the side of the road. It lit up the street that I was on and I was sure that cops were going to come arrest me for firing off a gun in a residental neighborhood or I was going to hear someone return fire... :hide: All I can say is thank god for good friends and buying that recovery stap that I got for $19.00 from 4 wheel parts a year ago.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Mike

As it stands right now it was the ignition module. It fired right up and ran with out a problem! All I have to do now is to replace the wrinkled muffler, blown Y-pipe gasket, and the Cat and I'm finished with this problem! -bounce- -alcohol-

Thanks for all your help on this matter!

Michael