Rear Suspension Bushings

CanadianPathyNut

I took my truck in to the dealership today and had the exhaust leak looked at, they fixed it for like $200, but they told me I need to replace the rear suspension bushings, but you can't just replace the bushing you need to replace the whole arm i think, thats what the service writer told me. I want to know if anyone here knows about this, and if so do think its possible for me to save the $1000 i was quoted and do it myself? I am enrolled in auto tech at school so I have free use of lifts and any tool you can think of. I jsut want to know if this is something I could do myself? what do you think??please let me know

Edited by CanadianPathyNut

Bushings can be bought and pressed out (for the 90ish model years at least). I bought them from UAP/NAPA for about $60 for a set of two. Thats why they're the steallers.

Denis

Edited by denisb

Why did they tell you your bushings need to be replaced? Does your truck handle poorly or sway at back and forth sometimes at highway speeds? If so, you can get away with replacing only the lower arms/bushings. The upper arms are tougher to reach, and only serve to keep the axle from twisting. The lower links stabilize the axle so it doesn't move front-to-back. The panhard rod keeps the axle from moving side-to-side.

Replacement arms include the bushings, but you can replace only the bushings if you want. It's more labor to replace the bushings, since you have to remove the arm, press out the old bushings and press in new ones.

If you have access to a fully equipped auto shop, do it yourself. In fact, you don't even need a lift, but it's helpful if you have one that you drive the vehicle onto, such as an alignment lift, not a 2-post lift that lifts the frame. It just makes getting to the arms easier.

Get a price quote on the replacement arms here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=49&catalogid=0

If your truck has seen salt-covered roads and you've got a bit of rust underneath, the bolts may be seized to the bushings and you'll have to cut 'em off. But of course you won't know this until you start the work, though.

Why did they tell you your bushings need to be replaced? Does your truck handle poorly or sway at back and forth sometimes at highway speeds? If so, you can get away with replacing only the lower arms/bushings. The upper arms are tougher to reach, and only serve to keep the axle from twisting. The lower links stabilize the axle so it doesn't move front-to-back. The panhard rod keeps the axle from moving side-to-side.

yeah I have no idea why they told me to replace the bushings and control arms, my truck handles fine, but they said they need replacing, and I never argue with dealerships. We have a truck lift at school, it has 2 ramps and is open in the middle and the ramps lift up so the truck is left on all 4 wheels, i use this lift to do oil changes. I love it. Im going to replace the entire lower control arm, do you know where I can get instructions as to how to do it. also what part do i want to order? is this all I need:

LOWER control arm, Pathfinder, All, Auto Trans, 4WD, Right - COIL SPRING

LOWER control arm, Pathfinder, All, Auto Trans, 4WD, Left - COIL SPRING

BUSHINGS, Pathfinder, Rear, Auto Trans, 4WD, Part Time - COIL SPRING

what else should I order? and how do I do this?

One bolt on each ends of the control arms (might want to buy these in case the original bolts are rusted and you have to cut them off). If you buy the complete control arm it should come complete with the bushings on. If not buy the bushings only. If you're going to have to press them on anyways it's not much more work to get them pressed off and your control arms will surely be good.

Denis