Connecting Netscape?

vengeful

This only happens when I'm navigating this site, so I'm thinking its somehow related to this site.

Every now and then, a "window" (I say that in quotes because a window does not actually appear) appears in the taskbar that says "Connecting Netscape". It will not allow any further progress in this site until it is done attempting to connect and failed. It is attemping a dial-up connection to a Netscape client, and since I am not connected through a phone line, it is failing.

This has only started happening in the last couple days. Has anyone else noticed this happening? How do I get rid of it? 88, what did you do? lol.

I've done that. There are no virii, worms or malware.

I checked in the network connections and there is a Netscape connection. It seems to only try to connect when attempting to download an image from Photobucket. :confused: :crazy:

I deleted the connection, and we'll see what happens.

I use Firefox, which is a "flavour", so to speak, of Netscape. Same code. Anyways, I had pop ups from the Photobucket sites that people had linked to, so I'm sure you got the malware from there. I didn't get any connections added though.

I only use IE if ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I am an IT guy and I have no problems with IE. As long as you keep yourself updated, install an additional pop-up blocker, updated anti-virus and anti-spyware programs you will be fine. I haven't gotten a virus or spyware in 4 years. I use Norton Anti-Virus, spybot, ad-aware and microsoft anti-spyware. I also use the XP pop-up stopper and panicware's pop-up stopper free edition.

Another way to keep yourself protected is to make your account a regular user account and only use the admin account when you need to install a program or change some settings. This way, viruses and spyware can not reek havoc since your user account will not have any rights.

Wheel366,

I work in IT as well, and have seen lots of cases where all the pop-up blockers, and antispyware programs in the world couldn't stop IE from acting up. We have all of our machines here updated from a central repository, and it's done nightly. The thing is, because most people use IE, there are more virusses/hacks/pop-ups etc. written for it. Same with Exchange servers. If more people used Firefox, or Netscape, they'd probably be more susceptible to attacks.

I am an IT guy and I have no problems with IE. As long as you keep yourself updated, install an additional pop-up blocker, updated anti-virus and anti-spyware programs you will be fine. I haven't gotten a virus or spyware in 4 years. I use Norton Anti-Virus, spybot, ad-aware and microsoft anti-spyware. I also use the XP pop-up stopper and panicware's pop-up stopper free edition.

Another way to keep yourself protected is to make your account a regular user account and only use the admin account when you need to install a program or change some settings. This way, viruses and spyware can not reek havoc since your user account will not have any rights.

all i can say is try FF and you'll bever go back to the dinosaurus called IE.

I used everything here. We have to test all the browsers. I have seen FireFox, Netscape and Mozilla all have their spyware problems. I even had a guy come in with IE deleted from the system. What I mean by deleted is he had removed iexplore.exe and made his default browser Firefox and had as much spyware as I have seen with IE. They all have their problems. It's just that IE has the biggest market share so Microsoft gets picked on.

I hear from people how secure Linux and Unix are. Well, Unix is more secure than Linux, but Linux has so many security holes it isn't funny. You just don't hear about it as often.

I used everything here. We have to test all the browsers. I have seen FireFox, Netscape and Mozilla all have their spyware problems. I even had a guy come in with IE deleted from the system. What I mean by deleted is he had removed iexplore.exe and made his default browser Firefox and had as much spyware as I have seen with IE. They all have their problems. It's just that IE has the biggest market share so Microsoft gets picked on.

I hear from people how secure Linux and Unix are. Well, Unix is more secure than Linux, but Linux has so many security holes it isn't funny. You just don't hear about it as often.

to some extent i must agree but from my personal usage of the 3 mentioned i get the most trash from IE.. it also seems more malicious then anything i get through FF or N.