Timing belt Question

KILLVOX

He all, When i bought my pathy it had 75,000 miles on it so i am almost positive the timing belt was not replaced. It now has 163,000 miles and i am changing it this week end. My question is deo you think the old timing belt could be the reason for this ongoing problem i have with the idle fluctuating. Also when the idle is at its lowest where it almost cuts out, there is some black smoke coming out and the plugs are pretty black. Could that be from an old timing belt. Sorry, Lost and stupid :shrug::wacko: :confused:

it should but not always.. the surging idle could be almost anything from vac leak to bad fuel (or pump) and all sorts of things in between. there is a few sensors in there too... run ecu diagnostics and see if that doesn't flush something out..

i really doubt it has anything to do with the belt... but change it you must.. t-belts don't really streach like the old chains do, they just tend to snap but never know.. even if it jumped a tooth or two the timing would be messed up but not really the idle..

I agree. Unlikely that a bad timing is going to give you bad idle, unless it's off by a lot and then you would get a rough idle, not a fluctuation.

Buuuuutttt..........that timming belt has got to be replaced!!!!!! wow! 163K miles! Remeber these are intefference motors, which means if that belt breaks or the teeth wear or break off and that timming slips too far, your pistons will go crashing into your valves causing major if not irrepairable head, piston, cylinder damage.

Deppending on which year Pathy you have, I beleive 88-95 are 60K miles recomended and I thought I saw someone post that the newer Pathys are 100k or 120K miles.

The 94-95 are 105k miles change intervals, pre 94 are 60k...

B

my OM calls for 110k mi for the t-belt.. i am going to exceed that by a little but not too much.. i'd feel comfortable going 120 on the old ones too. i have seen and heard of them going only around 200k and up..

Hmm, ok, well there is not much difference between 105-110k. Yes, I agree, it probably doesn't have to be on the dot. 200k is plain stupid. If someone wants to risk smashing the motor to bits, well, thats their choice. Personally I bought the Pathy partially because the motors last so long, but that goes away when you are slapping valves into pistons... :shrug:

B

I've had a belt go on an intervetion engine (Honda) and its not pretty. That particular one was about $1700, and it was only a 4cyl. It was defect failure, not old age, but still. Its MUCH cheaper to replace the timing when its due than to deal with valves, head, etc. That's just plain ugly.