Looking to buy a 2002/03 Pathfinder...

Guest Jerm

In the next 2 weeks I'll be buying a used Pathfinder assuming I can find one. I'm looking for a 2002/03 w/ <60,000 miles, preferably an LE. Are there any common problems with Pathfinders to be aware of?

Hi Jerm,

I cant remember off hand what we had to look out for - but I'm sure you'll find the info you need here... The only thing I remember is the struts... I know I had to get mine replaced when I bought my 99.5 last year.

Welcome to the board & good luck with your search!

Edited by Pezzy

Hi, welcome aboard! :beer:

There are a bunch of links posted on the forum (here), including reviews (new and used) of the years you are looking at.

I bought mine used with 62,000 km on it in December 2004, it now has just over 80,000 km. The only item I have had a problem with is the 6cd changer, it is a problem for almost all years (there is a post here about it).

I also had to do an O2 sensor, but this is not a common problem at this mileage.

Good luck, feel free to ask any questions. No shortage of answers/opinions here.

One other: if you get one with an automatic transmission, then do a full service and add an external transmission oil cooler. These years are not know for trannie problems but later years (and mileage) are. Better safe than sorry.

If you suspect trannie problems (poor shifting, burnt smell to the fluid) run away from that unit or get a real good deal. I believe a trannie job will run you about $3,500, give or take.

This is not a know problem area with the 2001-04s but they do not have the mileage on them that the older units have that are having problems. The problems seem to all relate to overheating of the fluid due to poor stock cooling. Again, there is lots of info on this on the forum. Did not stop me form getting an auto (the All-Mode 4wd is cool! :aok: ) but I did add an aftermarket fin/blade type cooler.

When I shopped for mine, I did a Google search and was able to get 7 reviews. Some of my own links are dead now but when all else fails, Google (or use your preferred search engine).

Thanks for the tips! Believe me I did lots of research and read a ton of reviews before deciding on a Pathfinder. Can't believe after a month of researching I just found this forum now! I did many google searches for "Nissan Pathfinder forum" or message board and this site never came up throughout the first few pages. Just happened to stumble upon it by typing in www.nissanpathfinders.com. Looks like I'll be sticking around here for a while. Can't wait to start modding my Pathy with the rest of you!

Hey is there an easy way to tell if the timing belt has been changed? I know this needs to be done around 60,000 miles. I don't always trust what salespeople say so just wanted to know if there's a way to check it myself.

If you're looking at a 2002/2003, with the 3.5L engine, it doesn't have a timing belt. It's a chain. Nothing to worry about there. The only way to tell otherwise, if it's the 3.3L, is to ask, unless (very rarely) they put a sticker on the timing belt cover saying when it was done.