Squealing noise, help....

mickyficky

So my 95 Pathfinder has been making this squealing noise for a couple of days. I first thought it was a belt or the bearings in one of the pumps, but the noise was a little different. It's a high pitch squeal, almost sounds like an RC car or like windex/papertowel pushed too hard against glass.....anyway

It happens randomly, mostly at low speeds. It comes and goes and seems to be worse when I am in reverse, going slowly. It sounds like it mostly comes from the back, sometimes from the front.

Sounds to me like a wheel bearing that needs grease, any opinions? :blink:

Also, what are some good things to check out that will be cheap and easy?

Thanks

db

It is only while moving and as far as i can tell, at slow speeds only....

i listened closely today and it doesn't seem to be coming from the engine.

also, it only has 76,000 miles

and the guy who just sold it to me said it never really used the 4 wheel drive......

it almost sounds like bad brakes, but it happens with or without the brakes on....

Ok, just guessing from little info, but it could be the slide pins for the front calipers sticking, not letting the pads retract enough where they still rub a bit. There is a write up in the garage/how to or tech section about it. I'd start there first...

B

• 4 weeks later...
Guest friend

HEY! ME TOO, on my 95 Pathfidner. P...

Same exact description! Except I haven't heard it in reverse. Slower speeds and usually after I have been driving it a bit. The brakes are good. My "Brake Plate?" was bent and the shop thought it might have been that but it still does it. It is a "Nail on the chalkboard" kind of squeak.

So I too am waiting to find out what it could be. I have only had mine for a little over a month. It is not consistant. It is the second phantom problem I am having. Still, I refuse to give up my pathfinder. I still like it!

I will record the answers here and send them to my mechanic. They are pretty cool and I know I will get an answer eventually. If I find out naything else I will let you know.

Thanks

Friend

The "Not alot of 4WDing" by the previous owner could point to the front hubs. If they are not locked in and used every now and then they don't get any lubrication. They could be dried out.

Well, I changed the front pads a few days ago. They were VERY worn. The sound is completely gone .

I made sure to use brake cleaner on the rotors, shims.....

and brake grease on the appropriate parts...... P...

It may have been the pad wear indicators along with brake parts badly needing to be lubed. When the brake pedal was released the pads remained too close to the rotor and the indicators were squealing.......

The hubs were checked by a Nissan mechanic and were OK. Apparently the guy who had it before me knew to engage the 4x4 occasionally..... :beer:

As far as Friend goes......double check the pads. Did you check them or did a mechanic (I've had mechanics say they're ok when they are not). Also check the lube points/rotors on the brakes (could be dirty / rusty). :shrug:

Does it make the noise only when you're moving??? In gear or neutral???

Guest friend

I very close friends who have an auto repair shop. They took the tires off inspected the brakes sprayed lubricant or something on everything and adjusted a "plate" that was bent and they thought it might have been that.

I am sure they inspected everything. Thye didn't charge me for any of it. so it that the kind of "inspection" you are talking about?

Also, I have noticed that the speedometer seems to stick at 15 mph when I am slowing to a stop. That is when the squealing starts. Then when I take off the speedometer sticks at 0mpm then "jumps" up to 15 mph once I get going, it is then that the squealing goes away. Could that be anything?

Also the parking brake has been recently adjusted could it have been adjusted too much? And if so why does it only occur after driving for a while and only at slow speeds?

Thank you for all your responses. Just so you know I am a female and won't be "taking the hubs off" and cleaing them anytime soon. Not because I can't but because I have a resourse to do it for me that is reliable. :bow:

I love that last line friend. ;)

I also have a wierd off and on speedo problem, but mine just likes to read 32mph... Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. I haven't figured out any cause or relation, but then I have been lazy and not looked too hard, yet. I'll keep you advised of anything I learn.

B

P... still no answer to the "SQUEAL". It is strangley random.

Last saturday it didn['t do it at all all day.

pssd . When it does do it it sounds horrible and people all look. It sounds like somethig is ready to fall apart or ??? explode??? or fall off???

Hmmmmm seems like it should be fairly easy to figure out b inspection but I suppose that is why mechnics make so much money :o

I suppose I must wait until it break or falls apart comepletey to find out what it is. THere is nothing surrently apparant.