Installing an alarm

jumper

it all depends really. people say you need a pro....but i have installed 2 alarms myself and also added keyless entry and i had never done it before. i had installed a CD player, CD changer, and installed a set of woofers, but never anything like an alarm. if you order from someone like crutchfield, they include a sheet with all the colored wires and a general reference on where to find them for your specific make, model, and year. the alarms also come with detailed instructions on how to wire up a host of things as well as just the basic setup of the alarm. i had absolutely no problems with my setup. i think most people just see a gazillion wires and get scared off. the only thing you have to do is connect a few wires and only cut one...and thats only if your instaling a starter interript. the rest is just splicing in wires to existing ones. not too hard IMO. and plus, out of all those wire...there gonna be between 3-10 wires that you WONT use. alarms are made to work with all types of vehicles and vehicle setups. therefore they have to include extra wires. youll probably end up connecting about a total of 10 or so wires up...if that many. i say go for it..but thats just me.

tools? a couple screw drivers, test light, wiring diagram, electrical tape, crimpers, splice connections. that will do it

Edited by DSM_guy

it all depends really. people say you need a pro....but i have installed 2 alarms myself and also added keyless entry and i had never done it before. i had installed a CD player, CD changer, and installed a set of woofers, but never anything like an alarm. if you order from someone like crutchfield, they include a sheet with all the colored wires and a general reference on where to find them for your specific make, model, and year. the alarms also come with detailed instructions on how to wire up a host of things as well as just the basic setup of the alarm. i had absolutely no problems with my setup. i think most people just see a gazillion wires and get scared off. the only thing you have to do is connect a few wires and only cut one...and thats only if your instaling a starter interript. the rest is just splicing in wires to existing ones. not too hard IMO. and plus, out of all those wire...there gonna be between 3-10 wires that you WONT use. alarms are made to work with all types of vehicles and vehicle setups. therefore they have to include extra wires. youll probably end up connecting about a total of 10 or so wires up...if that many. i say go for it..but thats just me.

tools? a couple screw drivers, test light, wiring diagram, electrical tape, crimpers, splice connections. that will do it

As he said, get a pro.

I installed my alarm in my truck without any help and Ive only ever wired up two decks and a basic soundsystem...

Its pretty easy, I dont know why vsicks is saying get a pro.

oh yeah i even got door lock acuators and hooked up keyless entry too..

I installed my alarm in my truck without any help and Ive only ever wired up two decks and a basic soundsystem...

Its pretty easy, I dont know why vsicks is saying get a pro.

oh yeah i even got door lock acuators and hooked up keyless entry too..

If you have to ask the question in the first place! GET A PRO!

I've got a database program from DEI (Viper alarms) that lists wiring colors and locations that might help. It has all Pathfinders up to 2002, but only the '96 and '97 Terrano. PM me with your email and I'll try to send it to you.

Alarms aren't all that hard once you know what wire does what.

v6 - the only reason i was asking was to see if anyone had any tips , placement of the brain , siren, hiding of wires or anything else as i have not installed an alarm before and it does not have one. And as the cost of a pro woud be $200+ to get it installed plus $75-$80 for the door lock acuator

jj - i have a 92' diesel TDt

v6 - the only reason i was asking was to see if anyone had any tips , placement of the brain , siren, hiding of wires or anything else as i have not installed an alarm before and it does not have one. And as the cost of a pro woud be $200+ to get it installed plus $75-$80 for the door lock acuator

jj - i have a 92' diesel TDt

here are a few tips on installation/placement of components.

1. do NOT put the alarm brain under the dash. this is the first place they will look...and a big black box tends to stick out when your feeling up under there..they WILL find it with very little effort. put it somewhere else. under a seat, behind a panel, in the console, anywhere but the dash.

2. blend the wires in with existing wires. try to wrap everything up and make everything as clean and neat and OEM looking as possible, that way your alarm wiring dosent stick out like a sore thumb and give theives the heads up.

3. get an alarm and/or siren with a backup battery. even if they disconnect your car battery your alarm and brain will continue to function.

4. mount an alarm INSIDE the vehicle as well as outside. they make great little sirens called "pain generaters" (google it) that proudce a very loud very shrill pitch that will give you a raging headache. they are small and designed to be mounted in your interior. direct it to the area of your stereo and whatnot so that the sounde is blasted TOWARDS the theif. but also hide it to where they cant just rip it out. nobody is gonna want to stick around with that siren going off inside..they should just move on. and plus...anymore people just want your stero or radar detector or whatever. the only good an outside alarm does is alert you or others your vehicle is being attacked...once they are inside the sound isnt that bad. stick one inside and it makes them think twice about rumminging through your car looking for stuff cuz they will go deaf trying.

um, thats all the little "tricks" i can think of...if i think of more ill post them up later.

as far as asking how to do something...and people thinkin you should just take it to a pro...i never knew anyone who didnt have to ask how to do something...who could do EVERYTHING naturally and w/o anybody else. thats the only way you learn. even if you research something (like searching on here) your still asking a question.

Call me antiquated but I never trusted alarms, people walk by cars with all the sirens in full blown without even noticing them. In all my cars I installed myself two killer switches. One for the tranny (all of them), one for the ground of the coil (Mustang 64 and Firebird 85), and in the Pathy one for the fuel pump and one for the ignition. Then I hid the switches themselves in odd places. The only way to start any of my cars even if you have the ignition key with you is if you know where the killer switches are. The Mustang has also a ground battery switch and a steel cable with a lock in the hood.

Thieves tried to steal my Pony in at least three occasions, one time they even used a bolt cutter to get into my garage, but my Pony is still with me.

Yeah, I used a kill switch in my 83 Cutlass in college after it was stolen and the column was broke open. Lemme see, $15 for a heavy duty battery shut off or $$$ for a new or rebuilt steering column. Riiiight. Also, yes alarms are somewhat ignored these days, but they are still a deterrent to most thieves. And on that note, take the deterrant bit to another level. I added a couple more super bright LED's so that there is one in the console, one center dash, and 1 each on the A pillars. You can see them from a long distance in the dark. Any thief with a shred of common sense is gonna see it from a distance and figure a 11 year old truck isn't worth whatever this crazy fool has going on for security. Oh, and LED's draw almost zip for power, so you can go nuts with them all over the place- inside and out- and you won't drain you battery. ;)

Oh, and they're not overly complicated. I've messed with mine a bit (although the ones I've had were already installed) and for the most part, they are no more complicated that an average decent stereo system. But directions/diagrams are great of course!

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I put one on my elec fuel pump and put the switch in the glove box. Worked wonders.

The one in my honda (before I sold it) had a momentary on and a solenoid. To start it, you had to push the momentary on button to get her going. Then I ran my solenoid (open under power) off the oil pressure idiot light. The fuel pump was on only when there was oil pressure. If you turned the car off, you could not start it without finding and pushing the button. I did this because a friend had a kill switch and his car was stolen ont he one night he forgot to flip the switch open when he got out.

second part of that story... When I showed my accord to sell it, it started and ran fine. The guy bought it and drove off. I forgot to tell him about the antitheft system I installed and the button was hidden up under the dash. He decided to stop a the store on the way home and he couldn't get it started again. I laughed my butt off when he called a couple days later and tole me he had to get it towed to the dealer and it took them a couple days to find out what I did.

most decent alarms nowdays come with a kill switch. anymore (esp if you have a nice car) its not about your car getting stolen...its about people stealing stuf outta your car. maybe its just certain cars, but nobody in my DSM community have ever had their cars STOLEN....they are merely stripped quite quickly of stero equip, easy to remove mods, and electronics. yes trying to prevent the car from being stolen all together is one of the major concerns...hence the kill switch, but the reality of it is that most theives only want to take stuff from your car...not your car. and yes...people pretty well ignore alarms adn they dont do much good on the outside, hence my suggestion for putting it inside. then it not only acts as an alart to you and others, but as a deterrent and driving force against the theif. a siren blaring outside to alert other people isnt gonna do a whole lot to the theif...but i promise 150db of shrill wailing inside a car sure will!