HELP!

nissie

hey guys the pathy sounds like its dropping parts all over the place when i hit the gas it whoooos like crazy, it started yesterday afternoon then i heard grinding like if there was a coat hanger or a chunk of metal stuck somewhere, it hasnt done the grinding noise today but the whooing hasnt stopped, it continues to do it. Im thinking that it may be my exhaust manifold leak that you told me about, do you think it has gotten worse Im worried and I dont know what to do, also the check engine light hasnt come on so I dont think its that bad but I am very worried.

PLEASE HELP ANYBODY

i have opened it up and it looks fine my oil is fine coolant i need but im ok in the fluid dept. it sounds like the fan and it used to shut off after awhile but now it keeps doing it, and boy do i ever tic, sounds like a sprinkler on speed.

Yes, it could be the fan clutch making the 'whoooshing' noise but only if it is frozen or severely binding. Yes, check that by rotating it both hot and cold. It should spin more free when hot (engine has been running). When cold, you should get maybe 1/4 turn max trying to freewheel it, not 1/2 turn or it is worn out.

Does it spin/freewheel somewhat when cold, or not at all? It should be locked up and not spinnable by hand when hot.

I have never seen a fan clutch that locks while hot, that would defeat the purpose; may as well just use a hard mounted fan. They loosen up when hot (friction from spinning) to keep from spinning the fan at engine RPM when at speed, yet bind more to move air while at idle. Thats why you have fan noise when you first start up cold, and it dies off after a few monents.

B

my fan clutch needs to be replaced as well. i do hate the jet engine sound. but instead of replacing it i think ill take the easy way out and just get a SPAL fan or something. we replace the origional clutch fan not too long ago but its out again already. reminds me of driving a big rig the way they do the wooooshing in lower gears