SC88 is getting a new stereo!

SC88Pathy

OH BOY! OH BOY!

I'm just so excited I had to make a post! I just ordered Kenwood KFC 6959ie speakers from Crutchfield for the back (those are 2 way 6x9" speakers for those of you not in the know ;) )

I already have JBL 5 1/4 component speakers for the front as well as an Alpine in dash cd and two Alpine amps. Well that is to say I will have them as soon as I get them from my friend. As soon as the 6x9's arrive I'm going to install it all (with some help from the friend who has everything)! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! -bounce- :cool2: B)

Oh yea and as soon as everythings installed the old speakers and the old Kenwood cassette player will be up for grabs, most likely for free.

i got those for my 6x9's in the back. they sound decent. I think they will sound better once I get my sub in there and they can concentrate on the higher frequencys cuz all that stuff goin to em makes em distort easily IMO. I also have the 4" kenwoods in the front. but I think ill upgrade to some 6" or 5" 1/4 's soon

I'm thinking about re-working my system. I want four sets of 5x7 component speakers from Infinity for a better balance, and then a pair of subs so I can still show off. This is still awhile doen the road though.

Would the 6x9's going in the roof in '94 and '95's? Where are your back speakers located?

i have 2 pheonix gold 6.5s in my doors, and 2 crappy 5 inch rounds in the back. and i have 2 amped alpine 6x9s right behind my seats, and a sub :) it works for me. i hid both my amps in the panels andd just screwed them to the body. and put the panel back, its very stealth.

i hid both my amps in the panels andd just screwed them to the body. and put the panel back, its very stealth.

I may be wrong here, but is it not better to mount an amp on a piece of wood or other non-conductive surface?

Nice idea for the stealth install though! :aok:

i need some 6x9's! i did some cutting and made room for some in my pathy, i have some crapola 6x9's in the roof now, but they arent to good.. i also put a lil amp in the hole where my jack is suppose to be. FITS PERFECT!

i hid both my amps in the panels andd just screwed them to the body. and put the panel back, its very stealth.

I may be wrong here, but is it not better to mount an amp on a piece of wood or other non-conductive surface?

Nice idea for the stealth install though! :aok:

Not a problem IF the amp is properly designed, built, and installed.

There is a very slim chance of inducing some ground loop issues if the ground wire from the amp is mounted a long ways away from the amp - but it never should be. The shorter the better.

Well with the stereo install emminant (new speakers are schedualed to arrive on the 18th), I'm trying my damndest to blow out the old speakers. I hope nobody wants them because I think one of the tweeters has already gone! OH BOY can't wait for the new stereo! -bounce- -bounce- -bounce- -bounce-

Well with the stereo install emminant (new speakers are schedualed to arrive on the 18th), I'm trying my damndest to blow out the old speakers. I hope nobody wants them because I think one of the tweeters has already gone! OH BOY can't wait for the new stereo! -bounce- -bounce- -bounce- -bounce-

My r tweeter blew. I'm pissed, but a friend has a parts Pathy that he said I could steel one from. Are the fronts components? I kind of thought that they were and a recent test may have confirmed that. WHen it blew I thought it mmight be a wiring problem. I hooked up a 3way 6x9 and only the tweet worked. Hmmm.

The fronts are not components. They have two regular 2-way speakers in the doors and tweeters in the pillars. Component speakers would be a 5x7 woofer with a seperate tweeter. They work great to replace the old speakers, but they are also pricey.

I got a different truck but...

I bought into some Memphis speakers...they are pretty good but i am a sucker for the Infinity products....I have 6.5 2-way speakers in the front doors and a 5.25 component in the back, with a 75x4 Memphis amp for the highs.....

.....those stock front pillar speakers are going strong running off the crossover unit for the rear components with amplified power.....I am really amazed after they got real juice and a real crossover how good they sounded so they kept their home. I have no estimate on true recievd power for them.

For umph I have 1 Kicker square L715 15" sub and a Memphis 1000d for it to beat me up with!!! LOL

My CarDomain...if it works!!!

Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan of Infinity. I've had MA Audio speakers, Pioneer speakers, and have installed Sony Xplod speakers and Kenwood speakers. I'd say that quality from lowest to highest would be Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, MA Audio, then Infinity. It really all depends on how much you pay though. The Sony Xplods I have heard were only $30 per pair wereas the Infinty's were listed at $100 per pair when I got them.

In the 88 pathys the sound system is way different than your guyses, no pillar tweeters and the rear speakers are below the rear triangle window (where your guyses doors would be). Thus no depth probs for mounting 6x9s, further proving my stance that two doors kick but! :D

And I don't think that one of the tweeters blew I think it's just my crappy cassette adapter to play my walkman. Pretty sure it's just distorting the highs since I don't hear it when listening to the radio. Still haven't blown the speakers, but I have yet to try the turn it up to max and cover your ears strategy.

6x9's should be here thursday, unfortunatly I'm out of town this thursday - sunday :sniff:

well i have 1/4 inch rubber boots on my amp mounts so they work out good, havent had any problems. and i have an 87 pathfinder, ill get some pics of where i hid it. I dont have a very powerful setup so a huge amp isnt necessary

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy approx half of the stereo install is done! We got the head unit (a Kenwood KDC-2011S) and the 6x9's in yesterday. Both were very simple, but now the hard part, mounting the 5 1/4s in a 6.5 hole. That's going to take a bit of time so it'll have to wait until my friend and I both have an entire day free. I'm also pondering my amp situation. I got a 100x2 RMS Clarion amp (really sweet but I don't got anything for it to power the 5 1/4 components are only rated to 75 watts RMS and the 6x9s are only 50 RMS) and an Alpine 3523 amplifier, which based on my google searching is a 50x2 RMS amp. I'm thinking of selling both and buying a 50x4 RMS amp to power all the speakers. Or I could leave the 6x9's on the decks internal amp and amplify the components with the Alpine amp. Sigh, I'll have to see what my monetary situation is after next week when college starts and I buy all my books.

Oh and a note to any other peeps installing 6x9s in a 2 door pathy, I didn't have to do any triming to get the Kenwood 6x9s to fit, so don't believe crutchfield or any other place when they tell you those 6x9's you want won't fit, they will!

Oh boy approx half of the stereo install is done! We got the head unit (a Kenwood KDC-2011S) and the 6x9's in yesterday. Both were very simple, but now the hard part, mounting the 5 1/4s in a 6.5 hole. That's going to take a bit of time so it'll have to wait until my friend and I both have an entire day free. I'm also pondering my amp situation. I got a 100x2 RMS Clarion amp (really sweet but I don't got anything for it to power the 5 1/4 components are only rated to 75 watts RMS and the 6x9s are only 50 RMS) and an Alpine 3523 amplifier, which based on my google searching is a 50x2 RMS amp. I'm thinking of selling both and buying a 50x4 RMS amp to power all the speakers. Or I could leave the 6x9's on the decks internal amp and amplify the components with the Alpine amp. Sigh, I'll have to see what my monetary situation is after next week when college starts and I buy all my books.

Oh and a note to any other peeps installing 6x9s in a 2 door pathy, I didn't have to do any triming to get the Kenwood 6x9s to fit, so don't believe crutchfield or any other place when they tell you those 6x9's you want won't fit, they will!

Wow, the email reply feature is working again!

For you hole problem, would getting some flat aluminum bar work? Seems like a very cheap, simple, and effective way of putting your speakers in. Can you use the stock grills to cover them?

I have an Alpine head unit and my speakers are in good shape (stock Clarion speakers). I plan to get a bass tube soon. I know its not the best, but it suits my needs. My truck has 150K on it now. B'c of the miles and the mpg it probably won't be my daily driver for much longer, but I'll never get rid of it.

For you hole problem, would getting some flat aluminum bar work? Seems like a very cheap, simple, and effective way of putting your speakers in. Can you use the stock grills to cover them?

Yea we're confidant we can fab something up, it's just going to take time. The stock grills should cover the fronts, and they covered the rear.

New thought on the amp situation, I was looking over my Crutchfield catalogue and Profile offers a 65x2 rms amp for $80. So I'm thinking I might buy that amp and run the 5.25's off it and run the 6x9's with the Alpine and keep the Clarion in case I ever decide to add a subwoofer to my set up. I'm just wondering if the stock amp and my battery will be able to handle two amps. :confused: