For those transmission experts

vidro

I do not know the transmission model number but it is a 5 speed manual hooked to a VG30E engine in 95 pathfinder 2 wheel drive.

I am missing 3rd and 5th and the vehicle rumbles in every other gear.

I am not a novice to mechanics but than I am not such a veterans that I have an arsenal of expensive tools.

I do not have a bearing press but I do have a big freaking hammer.

I do have the major metric and standard size wrenches and sockets, open ends ,box ends ,deep wells, shallows, etc.

Some specialty tools, snap pliers, chisels, HACKSAWS.

Would I be more nuts than usual to try and repair this tranny myself, or should I save my family from the loud obscenities and sounds of crashing metal and take it to someone that knows what they're doing?

I'm familiar with standards transmissions and have worked on a few 4 speeds but they were from American cars.

Edited by vidro

Ok, well, first I'd call around to see what they would charge to rebuilt it if you brought it to them. Then try to see what you could get the parts you guess you need for. Subtract 2nd from 1st that thats what you would save... I'm not a tranny guy and I don't know how comfortable you are with doing it yourself. :shrug: I definitely understand about saving the $ though !!

B

If your tranny (have not had the displeasure of having to tear mine apart yet) is anything like a Chevy manual tranny.. there are a couple specialty tools you would need to do the job that most folks don't have in their tool boxes (like us..and we have most everything!)... If you are confidentin your abilities... give it a try! But.. there's one condition to that.. you have to do a full write up with pictures for retards like me who will have to do the job one day...hehehe.. j/k.. the write up is optional...

it's all in your confidence.. sounds like you're familiar with trannies in general so i think you could do it.. you ought to talk to a tranny shop first though.. there have been a number of tech bulletins put out by Nissan concerning their trucks.. not sure if there were any for the manual tranny besides the extra 1L of GL4.

Replaced mine (5 speed man with 4wd). I bought a Japanese take out from local importer. Cost 700 including t-case (this is in Seattle). It was in very good condition. Came with a good warrentee. It even has a notchey "new feel". Shifter was taken off and taped to the tranny, oil drained, all the holes plugged, all parts bagged and included. Japanese attention to detail was evident. You may not have a lot of luck finding a 2wd, but I think you could transplant the 2wd tailshaft on the replacement unit.

I took apart the toasted one and I am happy with the direction that I took. It is a hard unit to disassemble. If there is as much damage as you say the parts will cost a fortune.

Just so you know, the tranny is a real bugger to remove. It is BY FAR the hardest tranny to remove I have yet done (out of about 6 or 7). Hard to reach bolts, a hidden bolt, tight clearances, must remove torsion bars, and exhaust system. Engine needs to be supported when trans is removed. The tran and tcase weigh, by actual measure, 240 lbs.

Aside from that it was a piece of cake.

Tacoman

Absolute agreement with 88. FORGETABOUTIT. Find a used tranny. For your 2 wheel drive they are all over the place for as low as $400. These are the same trannys used in the PU trucks of those years. This is an easy swap. With 2 gears lost you will spend more in parts than the whole used tranny will cost. A Japanese take out will work also but will cost more.

I agree. I would try to find an inexpensive replacement.

Well, OK, I would really pull it apart, check what is wrong as well what is wearing (may as well while I'm at it), price all new parts - including the springs, balls and detents that must have reached orbit inspite of heeding all the cautions. Then I'd throw all my parts in a box once I realized that even the $700 for a low mileage import is a deal and my time is worth something to me. ;)

Edited by Animal

Duh. forgot about the using a pick-up tranny. There is the Hollander Auto-Truck Parts Interchange Manual that you could have a look at. It will give you an idea of what donor vehicles will work, year and model. The Seattle public library has them in their refernce section. I suspect most large libraries do. Its a couple of vols, a couple of inchs thick and a little hard to decode. In spite of what lgranch says, price a japanese domestic market take out (JDM). If the pu's cross over to the pathfinder, and I bet that they do, it should be real easy to find one.

What a B@#!.

I usually don't and shouldn't expound my frustration in such a way but after last nights ordeal in attempting to pull out that transmission I have to vent and let someone hear me.

I made mention in a previous post that I had tools, I am modifying my statement and add "I do have tools just NOT the correct size".

Yes I have metric. No I do not have the 3 foot extension required to get to the exhaust bolts. Do I have 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive sockets "Yes". But "No" metric deep wells to add to the 3 foot extension (that I do not have). Forget a boxend hand wrench on those exhaust bolts, they aint moven.

I'm seriously thinking about getting an impact gun to finish up this project.

Drained the oil on the tranny, chunk of metal came out look to be a thin walled component that has broken down, resembles the casing around bearings

It is a difficult job and you need the right tools, not just enough of them. Most of the time I just cut the exhaust studs and bolts because they never come off.

Now I am not sure that a cat 5 speed will bolt into a pathfinder. I know that a PU will go in just fine. There are sources that I am sure we can find one right in your back yard. But obviously I need to know where that yard is.

I do not have the 3 foot extension

I got by with a 2' and 6" linked together... Also, I utilized drive size adapters for the sockets and a 1/2 breaker bar. It's a pain, but can be done ! Just be patient, and do what I do when I start getting pissed. Walk away from it for a while. I find when I'm irritated, I do more harm than good... :shrug:

Good luck !! :aok:

B

It is a difficult job and you need the right tools, not just enough of them. Most of the time I just cut the exhaust studs and bolts because they never come off.

Now I am not sure that a cat 5 speed will bolt into a pathfinder. I know that a PU will go in just fine. There are sources that I am sure we can find one right in your back yard. But obviously I need to know where that yard is.

Well, a 5-speed from a V6 truck will go into a V6 Pathfinder, but the 4-cyl 5-speed is different.

Little help PLEASE.

I have the bell housing unbolted, exhaust unbolted, the cross bar is still bolted along with the drive shaft.

BUT before I go unbolting those items I have been staring up at this beast from the garage floor I now am wonder "How in the HECK do I undo the stick shift stuff".

First off and the biggest obstacle is how do I get the Shifter Boot off from inside the cab ?