Still shaking after new tires and alignment

Matthew K

Hello again all,

Sorry to bombard the site with posts, and even though this is related to 2 posts below, I thought this might need it's own. My 01 Pathy is still shaking between 60 and 70, felt mostly through the steering wheel, even after purchasing 4 new tires and having a 4-wheel alignment done late last week.

Two weeks ago, I had my previous tires rotated once and balanced 3-4 times because my Pathy was vibrating. None of the balances resolved the shaking, so then I had a 4-wheel alignment done on Friday, which it needed since it was pulling to the left. When I left the shop (Sears), it was still pulling to the left, even though I watched them balance it and it seemed they did everything correctly. Then I thought it must be a tire issue (even though they all appear to be fine).

That night I swapped the front two tires with eachother and took it for a drive. This time it was pulling to the right. Saturday morning I put that tire on the back wheel which solved the pulling but the Pathy was still shaking.

The tires were General Grabber AW's (pretty good tires, made by Continental) with about half the tread left. Since no one carries them anymore and no one close to me had Bridgestone's in stock, I went ahead and got the General Grabber ST's, again from Sears. I had them put four on and balance them. I also had to get them right away as I had to drive 300 miles this weekend.

My Pathy is STILL shaking at the same speeds (60-70). It definitely shakes similar to when a tire is out of balance. I'm going to take it back to Sears tomorrow to have them recheck the balance, but is there anything else that sounds suspect? I have 62K miles, stock suspension, and all the mechanics I've gone to lately say all my suspension components look fine. How might a mechanic check the wheels themselves to make sure they're all true? One of the mechanics said they're fine, but something's got to give. I just find it highly coincidental that the Pathy would be shaking within the same speed range with a fresh set of balanced tires and a new alignment.

Thanks again all for your help.

Matt

Hmm, that is getting strange (and frustrating I bet !). I'd be wondering about the rim myself. What kind of rim is it ? Did you, the wifey, the son curbshoot the truck or anything ?? I would say remove that suspect rim (If you can still pinpoint it) and look at the edge for any impact scores, bent lips, check the backside for cracks or split welds if it applies. Also inspect the mounting contact surfaces for anything that could put it out of the rotational plane :shrug:

Sorry to bombard the site with posts

Fogettaboutit... This is certainly a valid and baffling issue; that 1/2 the reason we are all here... For advice.

After thought, could the rotors be significantly warped ? Does it shake more when you let off the gas than when accelerating ? My GF's honda had that issue, and it was the CV's, as I guessed. I know, completely different animal, but dont the CV's always spin on the R50's ? Shooting in the dark now...

B

Precise1,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm the only driver and I haven't hit anything hard with the wheels. They're the 2001 SE OEM rims. I actually just had the rotors machined (after this shaking issue started), so it shouldn't be those as the Pathy brakes smoothly. Also, it seems to shake between 60-70 with my both on and off the accelerator. I thought a clicking or popping noise was a tell-tale sign of a shot CV joint. The boots look good, but I'll have the mechanic check those too. Thanks again! :beer:

Matt

I thought a clicking or popping noise was a tell-tale sign of a shot CV joint

Yes, generally it is, but more on front wheeled drive cars, and then it is more in corners and/or acceleration. My GF's car drive fine without noise, just vibrated on the freeway over 70 mph, more when you let off the gas and the CV's didn't have power to 'force' them to comply. Mechanics were going to replace the rims, I said BS, drove it, and said CV's. They replaced them, and problem gone. They actually apologised and removed the 'diagnostic' part from the bill. :shrug:

Back to your issue, other long shots could MAYBE be loose or compromised motor or tranny mounts, or the universals on the drive shaft. Do they have zerks on them ? A shot of grease can't hurt... All techincally possible, but now I'm blazing away at shadows in the dark blindfolded... ;)

B

even wilder guess... although I would think that when they did the alignment they would have picked up on it - when I bent my subframe (offroad - I dont even remember hitting it hard) it started shaking, and pulling to one side...

I tend to think this is NOT your problem, but I thought it was worth a shot.

i am havong the same problem but then i found that my wheel bearings are a little loose so i need to get new ones and also the ball joints for the idler arm and pitman arm are loose so those are going to get changed... we'll see what happens

Edited by SteeevO

Moving both fronts to the rear might answer the bent rim question since you said you mostly feel it in the steering wheel.

Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so, unbolt one end and cycle it through it's travel. It should be pretty hard and slow to move by hand. If it's easy to move, replace it. And if you don't have one already, you might want to consider getting one.

Be sure to post the fix once you find it. Looks like a few of us are curious now.

Thanks guys for all your feedback. I'm going to take it into the shop either this evening or sometime tomorrow, so I'll let you know what they find as soon as I get it back. Thanks again! (By the way, I do not have a steering stabilizer)

Matt