Which Oil Is Best For My '87

Guest SN's87

Guest SN's87

Trying to figure out which oil would be best for my '87 pathy.I've always assumed Mobile 1 or Amsoil are the best choices but maybe im wrong.What would all you pathy owners recommend?The best possible choice?

opinions on oil are kind of like opinions on Iraq.. everybody has a different one..

if i am guessing correctly you have an 87.. that's pretty old.. probably lots of miles.. if you go synth.. just be careful it may make the motor leak bad... i mix some in my truck trying to work it inot full synth..

i had a leak in my oil pan from the idiot before me piercing it wih a f*94ed up parking job on a broken curb do-hicky, and he had it repaired. it didn't leak bad, but when i tried full synthetic, since i get free oil from the Queen Luber as we like to call our hell-hole of a work site (jiffy lube), it leaked like a mofo. that's probably because the guy who repaired the oil pan did a shotty job, but it still might make sense to use some synth. blend first for a while, then go for the fullsynth. just a suggestion. hell, i'm supposed to be an expert! hahah....no really, that's not very funny :unsure:

Guest SN's87

Thanks for the suggestions fellas....i'll probibly stick with Mobile 1.Havn't had a problem with leaking while using a full synthetic so I suppose i'll just stick with it if it is working......just wasn't sure if this was my best possible choice.

20-50's pretty damn thick, man...your lifters won't like that after a while. You need thinner oil for when it starts up, so it pressurizes everything quickly enough to prevent metal-on-metal contact and wear...

listen to 88 here!

• 1 month later...

always used reg casterol 10W-30 in mine and i dont have any problems with it...no leaks or nething...except sometimes in the winter i get a drop or 2 from around the oil pan but nothing when its warm out...if i dont drive it for about 3 days i might get a little lifter tick but thats gone in about 5 secs...havent switched over to high milage and dont plan on it...cuze im a pretty big believer in if it aint broke dont fix it...