harness seatbelt

FLApathy

has anybody ever put a racing harness in there truck or seats or both i thought about it and was like well im going 3 mph i think ill survive, but then again road driving, just seeing your guys thoughts

They are in the plans for my 88 along with an internal cage. Unless you have a mount point (for the shoulder straps) level with your shoulders for the belt I don't recomend them, they can actually cause more injuries at speed. Some people think they look cool so they install them and mount the shoulder belts to the floor behind the seat, in a wreck that type of mount will not stop your forward momentum above your waist, it'll cause the seat back to collapse and your face to go into the dash.

We just installed some 2" 4 point racing harnesses in the sand rail (can post pics tomorrow)... bolted them to the frame behind the seat instead of the bar (I have been off road racing for many years and that was my favorite spot) and tucked the shoulder straps under the head rest casing as bf didn't want to spend buko bucks on seats with harness holes... work great though.. now to install the reachable kill switch b 4 Pismo in 6 weeks......

any stock 3 point seatbelt will keep you safe in a wreck. the deal with the harnesses is that when something happens, you dont have to wait for the belt locks to engage. you also do very little moving around in a harness versus an OEM system. there isnt the sliding all around and trying to keep yourself in the seat. the harness holds you down and holds you down good.

as far as mounting. you should never mount your straps at more than a 45* angle. any more than that and you can get spinal compression if you get in a wreck. if you didnt wanna install a bar in your cab you could utilize the top anchor point on the rear passenger belts. i have that done in my eclipse.

so what would ideal angle be, i wolud think as long as it is above you shoulders because everyone is a different size and shape (you know what i mean) :confused: and how does the spinal comp work

I would guess most harness mfgr's will have specs on how to mount their system.

As for the spinal compression, I think thats caused by your shoulders being the highest point in the restraint. As you're forced forward in a crash it would also force you down in the seat. A web site like Simpson or something would prolly answer most of your questions.

well the reason i ask about the spine was because i very involved in the medical field and the only thing i had heard with racing seat was a basler skull break were you skull is disloged from your spinal cord, what happened to dale e. and of course i dont know everything and i thought it was something new i didnt know about and if i ask a mfg they will tell me it doesnt matter were i put it as long as i buy it

from what ive heard ideal mounting is directly in line or slightly above your shoulders...although slightly downward (no more than 45*) is also acceptable. like someone mentioned above...your shoulder is the highest mounting point. if you have your harness lashed right behind the seat to the floor, your shoulder is the highest point in the arc created by the belt line. if you do end up hitting something and abrubly stopping the pressure of you moving foward is going to be put directly on your shouldrs. it would be like someone jumping on your back all of the sudden...hence compressing the spine. and trust me..if your wearing a harness correctly..you should not be moving at all..and your body is already under some tension..but you throw alot more on it...suddenly, youll screw your back up royally.

ok i understand now,

i dont know if i can screw my back anymore...

i was born with

1)whiplash

2)scolisos, how ever you spell it but you get the idea

3)crushed disk

4)pinched s nerve

5)2 of my lower vertibrates or rolled up to the left and yawed to the front

and it hurts pretty much all of the time even right now as i type

Geez FLAper, don't know what to say other than sorry, that really sucks. I have a couple of good kinks in my back that I'm not sure what the current status of is, but I did them to myself in motorcycle crashes. They do remind me sometimes so I guess I sort of understand. Sorry to hear it, but we play the cards we are dealt, eh ? Never heard of draw life...

Be well Bud.

B