Key stuck in ignition

Ink Ming

The Pathy is a '91 with an automatic.

This problem has been happening for awhile, but before I could always jiggle the key and get it out of the ignition. Here is the deal:

Key goes in the ignition fine. You can start the car fine. But when you go to remove the key it won't let you either push in the release button or the button goes in and the key doesn't turn back to where you can take it out. I am thinking it is either something up where the key is or down by the transmission since it acts the same way if you leave the car in drive and turn off the engine and try to remove the key.

Thoughts?

not the steering wheel lock correct? ie move the steering wheel one way or another if the wheel is locked and it should loosen things up...i have the inverse issue on my 87 i cant get the key in sometimes but its getting better since i put some liquid wrench in it

All of the above are possible and your tumblers could be crapped up. What condition is the key in ? Do you have a heavy key ring/fob ?? So, these can bugger up the ignition lock over time. Try squirting graphite or silicone spray in the hole first...

B

Key is old and worn. I have had the problem before where you need to turn the steering wheel a little to unlock the key, but in this case the key isn't going back all the way, so you can turn the steering wheel all you want.

Let me go try moving the shifter around and see what I get.

******UPDATE******

Ok, just checked it out. Still haven't gotten the key out. The little button that you push in by the ignition to turn the key back to the Lock position, will not push in. SO....

Is this due to something like a sending unit from the tranny or totally something to do with the ignition switch?

Edited by Ink Ming

if the tranny thinks its still in something other than park you cant take the key out, the problem may be in the shifter, a little switch that says hey im in park to the tranny, im not for sure but hey why not

i nearly always have to jiggle the trani. shifter a little bit in park and there is a click, then the key comes out easy

just leave the key in...put a toggle switch (or something like the prolock that u can take with u out of the truck) under the dash to the ign lead so when u get out u kill the switch or pull the chip and then u dont have to worry about some1 stealing it...maybe they'd try to break in to steal it but i doubt it if the doors r locked