Paint/Body Shop estimate

wheelmanLS1

222aa.JPG

See the nice huge dent in my bumper? The guy who sold me the truck said it was a shopping cart. Bull@!*%. Anyways, I all of a sudden have a really awesome job (for a teenager anyways) and am making money out the wazoo. So I have directed my attention to the bumper.

I figure I'll just get a new one from a junkyard, bolt it on, then take it and have it painted a gloss black to match the truck. Then while I'm at it I want to paint the front bumper and the grill/trim around headlights the same gloss black. Anyone have an idea how much the bumper would be, and how much the paint would be. Would it make a difference in price if I sanded the bumpers down first to save the body shop guys some time?

I wanted to shave the liscense plate holes in the front bumper... what do I use? Bondo? JB Weld?

Also, I had clear corners in mind, but $70 for the black-trimmed ones from Australia is a little stiff for me. If I get the chrome trimmed ones, can the body shop paint it black with no trace of chrome with no problem?

Maybe you guys also have some advice for me, it can't hurt.

My advice Bud is to forget about it... Your truck looks sweet and isht happens. Get too anal about it and it will make you tense. It's not worth it in the long run... Go wheeling and hit a tree or two, that'll calm you down and give you something to fix... :P

B

Just take them off and do it yourself. I got anal about my bumpers and spare tire carrier looking faded. So I took them off and painted them and the grill and corner lights while I was at it. I left the spare tire carrier on and just masked off the whole back of the truck for over spray.

I sanded them down good then sprayed the bumpers and tire carrier with Walmart Duplicolor auto spray paint and painted the corners and the grill with Krylon Fusion for plastic spray paint. I had it done about 7 or 8 months now and still looks good.

The whole job cost me about $20-$30.

battle scars.... leave 'em

But that's not my battle scar. It's a frickin' shopping cart that did the damage (supposedely). Besides, I don't do the bump into a tree an keep on rolling thing. I never hit any stuff off-road... that's how tame of off-roading I do. Red-finder, yours look really good. I just may have to use your method. Thanks!

Edited by wheelmanLS1

k9sar, I don't know what the rules are with your Pathfinder, but I know if somebody swung a blunt object towards my Pathfinder heads would be rolling. Okay, thanks eveybody for your suggestions. But maybe you could answer a couple of my questions...

1) How much would a rear bumper be from a junkyard?

2) Is it possible to cover the chrome trim completely with paint, or will it look kind of shotty?

3) And what do I use to shave to liscense plate holes in the front? JB Weld, Bondo, something else?

Thanks again red-finder, I have decided to just paint everything myself... should be cheaper. But I still need a little help with the above listed questions. Thanks again!

1.) Depending on the yard and your location, and the condition of the bumper, it could range anywhere from about $50-$200 or so. Shop around. Try http://www.car-part.com

2.) Yes, it is very possible, with proper preparation, to paint over the chrome trim, and have it not look crummy. Be sure you use plastic paint on plastic surfaces and regular paint on metal surfaces. Also, take your time masking, and mask a lot more than you think you'll need, as there will be about a 3-4' radius of overspray. Trust me. That's why there's primer on my driver's front fender. pssd

3.) To shave the license plate holes, I would use the bondo hole filling kit. It comes with a small metal mesh that you place behind the hole and then use the bondo to cover it up. It works very well and was apparently used to shave the side markers on my VW. If you do a good job with it, and are very careful, it can come out looking factory. :aok:

you could also check LKQ They list a chome one in NC

Rear Bumper

Nissan Pathfinder chrm- REAR,AFTRMKT,93-95 e1561 MWFRBR $192.68

LKQ - Raleigh Auto Parts USA-NC(Garner) E-mail 1-800-682-0618 or

LKQ Salisbury USA-NC(Salisbury) E-mail 1-800-422-0348

or you could get a black face bar for about 150 new from the dealer (if the rest of the bumper is in good shape)

LKQ is good, however, I have found them to be a little bit on the pricey side...especially for used parts.

They do have great customer service, and are usually pretty damn fast on shipping (when required), in my experience with them.

I prefer the local U-pull-it yards but pathys are getting scarce and well picked over. If there's something I desperately need, I'll pay the price but I like my el-cheapo yards

There's about 5 or 6 Pathfinders in the junkyard here in Mooresville... mostly untouched. Just in case you guys wanna make a trip over. I would take more parts off them but mine is in such good condition, I usually don't need any.