My LSD is making noise !?

EvilLex03

Ok, here goes… When I turn going under maybe 20 mph I can here a noise coming from the back of the truck.. I think it’s the rear-end.. It does it when I back up also, but as soon as I push in the clutch it will stop. I have a LSD rear end so I was thinking that it has to do with that.. Is this normal for it to make noise ? I friend at a local Toyota dealer told me that when it gets hot out that it might start to “chatter” and told me to change the fluid and also to get an LSD additive. So I got some new fluid and the additive, I have not changed it yet.. Does this sound right ? I just want to make sure before I go changing stuff.. Also, I got Castrol 80W90.. Thats the right stuff, right ?

Thanks.

If it were only your rear diff, it'd make that noise regardless of clutch position. Your problem is in the transmission, transfer case or somewhere in the crossmember or mounts. Possibly you have a broken tranny or t-case mount or loose crossmember bolts?

Ill check that out... I never looked for a broken mount. Like I said.. It only makes the noise when im putting a load on the thing.. I mean when im in gear driving.. If im just coating it does not make the noise.. It does feal like something might be loose under there.

I completely agree with 88, and in addition, it could be a clutch issue. How many miles on it ? The other thing that comes to mind since you mention 'putting a load on it' is the input shaft (bearing?) for the tranny. There is a TSB pinned in the garage section under tech section at the top of the first page. It seems that the stock recommended level of tranny fluid is not always sufficient and 'overfilling' is recommended. How old is the tranny fluid/have you ever changed it ? GL-4 is what is specified, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Get on this right away as fixing it before it breaks is much cheaper than after. A fluid change cant hurt, and you may get many more miles out of it, but it's very hard to tell on the web.

When I buy a wheeler, the first thing I do is change all the fluids to set up a maintanance schedule; I know thats not helpful now, but in the future... Keep updating and we'll get it figured out.

B

Hmm, what kind of noise does it make ? Do you feel any vibration or clunking or anything in the chassis ? Have you crawled under and looked/pried/pulled on things ?

B

Its rainin out so I can't go look. I have not looked yet.. it does make a clunking in the chassis, I can just feal it in the floor. its not that bad, I can here it good when I hang my head out the window.. But it does not do it every time. Like, when ever I go to show someone it wont do it !

Yea, they seam ok.. They would be lose if they were bad right ?

"Im new at this stuff" !!

If you can wiggle/move the driveline, if the u-joint moves but the drivelines don't... you could have a joint going bad. They make a clunking noise and you cann usually feel it as you shift gears if one is going... does that make sense?

I just got under there and tryed to move stuff. Nothing feals lose. How much should the drive shaft turn ? I can turn it a little, or I should say rotate it a litte, but the joints seam to move right along with it. I guess Ill just try the fluid change and hope for the best.

This is something of a long shot but look here at 'front end clunking or squealing'. Yeah, I know its about the front end, but I have been fooled about where noises are comming from many times. Just something else to check while you are under there... :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28

These sporatic strange noise things can be hard to find. Sometimes it is something someone hears and says, 'oh, thats your ***' and sometimes 2 years and 5 mechanics cant figure it out... GL and keep posting Bud !!

B

you said you had the rear end fluid changed??? if so, you might have the same problem i had long ago.. i had a clunkin noise everytime i backed up, and took off slowly and turned the wheel. It turned out that the guy who changed the rear end fluid put the wrong crap in. I went and bought some gear oil, and the LSD additive, and had jiffy lube put it in., I havent had the noise since. SO, maybe whoever did the gear oil change, used the wrong stuff. Id, do it again if i were you, and buy the oil yourself. Its actually a common 'problem' with the older pathy's.

Edited by Kn0xville

It may be, but it never made this noise when I first got it last year, just seam to have started this summer. I am going to change the fluid anyways, can't hurt. What fluid did you use ?

• 1 month later...

Change the fluid and put in the additive. Trust me. I had the same shudder clunk on turning from a start after having one of the local juice it quick joints do the fluids. I thought it was mounts or suspension or rear end etc etc. I put in a bottle of the additive and instant fix.

Pathylogical

its a 94 with only 80k on it ! and all the fluids were changed when I got it last year, and that was at like 68k...

i hope you did exchange the tranny fluid with gl4 ONLY! this is one fo the more critical things on our trucks.

as to lsd fluid: almost all gl oils today have the lsd additive in them already but it would be best to make sure