Off-road Lights

Matthew

I was wanting to put some off-road lights on my '02 Pathfinder, and I was wondering what all I needed to buy to attach them on my roof (I have the model Pathfinder that has the roof rack that looks like an Xterra's). Also I was wondering if anyone who was installed them, what are the best kinds to buy?

there's all sorts of lights, pro comps are cheap and effective, there's hella lights, KC lights, also cheap wal-mart style ones, lightforce and PIAA lights are really nice but really spendy, the two on my roof cost me almost $180, by comparsion, the two pro comps on my prerunner bar were like $60 =D

Edited by statikuz

Those are the factory "luggage rack" cross bars. Now I just need two more lights and a basket. Then maybe the "Mickey Mouse" remarks will stop. :D

Edited by snosnk

Run the wires down the channel that your luggage racks attach to. Then cover them with 1" wide carpet trim. Just drill the holes a little bigger in the trim to fit the tie down bolts. You'll also have to trim the end cap at the back of the channel to get the wires under it. It takes a torx tip to get the screws out of the end cap and they are kind of a bugger to get back in.

Use%20this%20to%20cover%20the%20wires.JPG

Wires%20Covered%201.JPG

To hide the wires on the rack, I used spiral wind wire loom. Then drilled holes to ziptie the wires to the back of the rack.

In%20postion%20and%20Wireloomed%20Back%201.JPG

I put a quick disconnect on mine so I could take them off in short order. Unplug the wires and take off the luggage rack.

If you open your rear hatch, youll see at the top left, a wire loom for your third brake light. I fished the wires down through that loom and into the inner rear fender well (where your amps are). I ran a fused power lead to a small distribution block in the rear fender, then to a relay. I also ran a couple of extra switch legs for other aux lighting to the area under the stereo. I've allready used one for backup lights.

Wires%20Hidden%20here.JPG

More pics here

These pics are of a couple of projects (daylighters, backup lights and relays to hold on the low beams while the high beams are on) so I hope they are not too confusing. Most of them are named very descriptively but neither ie or mozilla display the full names.

I've got 9 lights placed all over my car. One pair of Hella Rallye 4000, a pair of Hella 500's, a Hella dual beam flood on both sides and the rear, and a pair of KC daylighters on my brushguard. All of the Hellas are attatched to a Yakima loadwarrior. I didn't use the yakima light mounts simply because if your lights are fairly large like mine, they stick up waaay to high, and its easy to snag them on tree branches or whatnot. They work fine for slim lights, but my 4000s are 9" tall, so they dont work well there. So I just went to home depot and got some strips of metal and some bolts and made some mounts that simply clamp to the roof rack. I can go into detail if you need me to on how to make them.

Gorillaman's Lights

hey how did you wire up all those lights up top? i'm considering adding another pair onto the rack but am debating it since the last ones were such a pain =)

Edited by statikuz