Trannny Shifts With A Shudder From 3-4 Gear

i just got mt 1996 Pathfinder SE 2 months ago with 102K miles and i have 108K miles now and it runs great..

however, the auto transmission shifts with a shudder ( or a thump) from 3rd - 4th gear .. it feels as if the vehicle is going over a series of small bumps ( for like 1 second) even on a very smooth road .. the 1-2 and 2-3 gear shifts are perfect .. can anyone give me some input as to what this is ?

***** CORRECTION: THE SHUDDER IS FROM THE 4TH TO OVERDRIVE LOCK UP SHIFT AND NOT THE 3-4 SHIFT **************************************

Edited by IndianRider

Im Assuming i have the same problem 1-2 ok 2-3 ok 3-4 ok the converter going into lockup over 60 kph or 40 mph occasionally theres a small shudder but not allways, Im going to try and service new filter / fluid the box and see what happens

Change the tranny fluid and filter along with the LSD oil in the rear end. See if that helps....Sounds like its slipping when shifting into those gears.....go with the tranny fluid change first.

Let us know....

wow .. looks like the 3-4 shift "shudder" is pretty common ..

since i do not know the history of the transmission maintenance, ive heard from a lot of ppl and on the internet that you DO NOT want to do a transmission flush when a high mielage transmission is showing symptoms, as this will most certainly ruin the transmission ..is this true ? they recommend driving the vehicle till the tranny breaks down or just made do with tranny oil/filter changes but NOT flushing ..

as per ur suggestion for changing the rear differential oil- last month my rear differential was making a whining noise in tight U turns .. i decided to change the diff. oil myself and it turned out, there were only 2 quarts left in the rear differential as opposed to the ~3 Quart capacity .. after i replaced the the rear diff. oil and filled it up to the filling hole, the whining noise is GONE ..

going back to ur 2nd suggestion, i'm sure i can do the tranny fluid replacement myself, BUT, i have a few questions first.

1: can the tranny filter be changed at home ? is it that hard ?

2: is it a bitch to get the old gasket off ?

3: what do i use to seal the new gasket to the pan ?

4: does the Pathfinder have a drain plug on the pan too or just the transmission itself ?

5: does the tranny filter have to be replaced ? or is it the kind where it can be cleaned ?

5: is there a write up on how to change the tranny filter in these forums ? i do not have a service manual ..

can anyone give me the Nissan part # for the tranny filter and the pan gasket

any help/info is greatly appreciated.. im new to the forum ..u guys are great..

Edited by IndianRider

I had this exact problem with another make of car (GM) and I finally fixed it after about 5 years with a new solenoid when the car would stall at stoplights. My Pathfinder currently has lots of bumpy shifting (auto transmission), but I'm going to leave it and just keep up on fluid changes and hope it will hang in there :bow:

I wouldn't change the tranny filter, it's a fine metal screen that will not clog. You could drop the pan and clean the magnet and check the filter while you're in there, but I can tell you it won't have anything on the screen. If you drop the pan you need to get a new pan gasket and watch those bolts, very easy to break. You do have a drain plug so you could do a couple of drain and fillls to get new fluid in there, or a flush via the trans lines.

I wouldn't change the tranny filter, it's a fine metal screen that will not clog

This is not true. If it would never clog, it wouldn't filter. It is harder to clog, but give it time it will clog and even if it doesn't clog it can still reduce the flow, reducing pressure causing the tranny to act funny. Mine was acting funny and when I took the filter off it didn't look cloged, but when i cleaned it and put it back on my tranny started working instantly. So I bought a new filter kit (filter and gasket) and replaced them. Figured it couldn't hurt and it might not clog as quick since it was new.

As far as the not flushing, my thinking on the reason behind not flushing if it has high mileage. Probably because, by flushing you are forcing presure through your tranny, possibly pushing some dirt through and past your filter. This dirt and small fillings might make your body valves/solnoids and other parts that move in tight spaces stick, due to the dirt/metal shaving getting wedged in.

Denis

Of course it filters out particles, but it is a self cleaning screen (Nissan calls it an oil strainer), nothing is going to stick to it when the pump stops. It is designed to keep particles from making it to the pump, but that doesn't mean that you need to change it.

In fact you will not find changing your trans filter in your service schedule and you will not find changing it in the factory service manual even when you have the pan off already. The only mention of the oil strainer is to check it for damage when your tranny explodes, thats about the only reason you would need to replace it. The good dealer service depts. will steer you away from buying one and I've seen that personally.

But if it makes you feel better go ahead and change it. But your transmission running better afterward is merely a factor of cleaning the pan and magnet and changing 50%+ of the ATF, not because the new strainer is working any different.

ok guys .. i need to go on a long trip to toronto, canada tomorrow and i dont have time to drop the pan and clean the magnet and replace the gasket .. so temporarily, im going to remove the drain plug under the tranny pan and drain the old fluid and replace it with ATF till the proper level and see how it starts acting ..

also, i noticed, the 3-4 shudder happens mostly when im under 50 mph and am "easing" off the throttle ( 1500-2500 rpm) .. when i acclerate briskly and merge into highway traffic and keep the pedal floored ( > 2500 rpm) , the 3-4 gear shift is smooth and there is no shuddering ..

what gives ?? can it be a tranny mount or something axle related too ? but if its a tranny mount, shouldnt it shudder each time the gear changes ?

Edited by IndianRider

just drained the old tranny fluid ( 5 1/2 quarts, was bad but not burnt ) and replaced it with Castrol Dextron III / Techron .. went out for a short drive, and beleive it or not, the 3-4 gear shudder has gone ..

but a buddy of mine told me, if there really was a problem with the tranny, the shudder will come back after a couple of thousand miles when the fresh oil gets mixed with the old oil ( 4 1/2 quarts still in the tranny).. so after my 1000 mile trip to canada, im planning to drain the fluid again, and this time drop the pan, clean the magnet and refill ..and hope the tranny will atleast make it to 150,000 miles.. .

for all those who have the similar problem, why dont u change the fluid and see what happens .. thanks for all the tips and advise guys ..

Edited by IndianRider

just drained the old tranny fluid ( 5 1/2 quarts, was bad but not burnt )

Did you jack up your Pathfinder? Everytime I drain the pan I get 4-4.25 qts on level surface and have only gotten 5.5 qts out when dropping the pan. Make sure you check the level again using the instructions in your owner's manual.

i didnt jack up the Pathfinder but i parked it in an incline with the slope towards the drain plug .. i let it drain for over an hour .. once it stopped draning, i shook the vehicle in ALL directions until more fluid came out till the last drop .. i then measured the old fluid and got exactly 5.5 quarts .. refilled about 5.6 quarts..

will check the fluid again today before my trip ..

MATTY: let me know if changing the fluid gets rid of ur shudder ..

I don't know how you guys are getting so much oil out, unless it was overfilled to begin with. The 1997 owner's manual states that 3-7/8 quarts is the oil capacity. 5 or (gasp!) 5.6! quarts is way too much! I'll assume this capacity applies to all VG33-equipped Pathfinders (1996-2000)

The oil capacity for the 2001-2004 is higher. (I don't know what it is, though.)

I don't know how you guys are getting so much oil out, unless it was overfilled to begin with. The 1997 owner's manual states that 3-7/8 quarts is the oil capacity. 5 or (gasp!) 5.6! quarts is way too much! I'll assume this capacity applies to all VG33-equipped Pathfinders (1996-2000)

The oil capacity for the 2001-2004 is higher. (I don't know what it is, though.)

Dean,

This is a transmission discussion... :P

I drained mine earlier today before the discussion on capacity. I started to refill, got to 4.5 quarts, and said to myself,"let me check and see if anyone commented about the capacity of 5.5 quarts." I thought it sounded high. So after reading what has been posted today, I went out and used the dipstick to check where I was. Mine is overfull at 4.5 quarts. I'll probably drive it around the block a few times, drain again, and refill. I'm assuming Dean understood that this was a transmission discussion, and he was quoting some Nissan capacity level.

hi guys ..

just got back from the trip to canada and realized i made a embarassing mistake when i started this topic ..

the transmission shudder i was having was NOT from the 3-4 gear but from the

4th to Over drive (lock up ?) .. i sincerely apologize for the mistake as this is my first ever automatic and i thought it was the shift from 3-4 .. only when i started counting the gear changes, i realized it was doing it from 4-5th and since there is no 5th gear, im thinking its the overdrive lock up ..is that what u call it ?

as u know, the shudder dissapeared after i changed my tranny fluid ..but im still dropping the pan and cleaning the magnet this week ...