What would you do?

Pathylogical

Hey guys,

I am starting from scratch on a 95 LE and I am about to really get into the suspension. I have a weird shutter clank when turning from a stop.

I have to work on the upper ball joints anyway and am considering really changing some stuff out. My question is what would you do. I would like to do more offroad but I am not an everyweekend wheeler.

I am considering a lift, poly bushing replacements everywhere, new torsion bars, and even the calimni steering rebuild possibly.

What would you do to rebuild the suspension steering from scratch. Where would you go for the parts?

We love our pathy and refuse to buy away from her.

Thanks,

Pathylogical

umm let's see. you can get HD steering components from calmini. bit pricey, but worth it. if you're on a budget check out 4x4parts.com. i'd get all of the steering components, control arms from calmini, but too expensive. here's a link.calmini

there is so much you can do. a lot of different options. check out 4x4parts.com and purenissan.com. all my parts expect for the locker, shocks and prerunner bar are from 4x4parts.com. i think they're pretty good. but 88pathoffroad will give you a different opinion on them.

Edited by mudfinder

I have the suspension lift from 4x4parts.com and it works great. But for the UCA's you should check out Rough Country, they're running some good prices right now.

If your torsion bars are sagging you could try reindexing them before buying new ones. I cranked mine up and they're holding fine.

Edited by madhatter_xe

i got some UCAs from rough country coming in (good price!) thy only make em for the hardbody, but they fit the pathy.. just dont tell em its for a pathy or they wont warrenty them. Also got some rear springs coming in from 4x4parts. And if you dont offroad your pathy to hard, you probably wont need the new t-bars, like said above, just re-index them. Also, i have the L&P steering system and i love it! and VERY well priced so ya... www.roughcountry.com www.4x4parts.com www.purenissan.com and www.lpperformance.com is what i can think of for parts.

I have cranked em up about 2 years ago and they are ok but I wonder what the new 30 percent spring rate increase woul feel.

Yeah I know how many things can be done. One of the reasons I posted this.

There are several lift options and I wonder if others are more trouble free than some. I figure if i gotta get into the UCA's anyway why not look at all options.

If I didn't do the Calmini steering upgrade what is second best to do. Steering brace and the added shock anti kickback deal? Does anyone else make a beffier Centerlink that works?

Thanks.

Pathylogical

These guys make quality stuff, I have an idler arm brace from'em and it is rock solid. They also beef up OEM centerlinks with a 5yr guarantee.

88 is running one of these so he will probably have some more info.

L & P

Edited by madhatter_xe

I have their lift with my Tbars cranked. My only complaint is that the front suspension doesn't compress since I have the tbars maxed out. Oh and my steering has much more wander but that's because I have most of the original steering components and right now the UCA's are at such an extreme angle due to the lift. I'll be buying the calmini steering kit soon.

You don't really need new t-bars unless you want a nasty stiff front end ride...reindexing stock ones should work fine, mine are still stock. They flex better than aftermarket t-bars anyway.

Starting from scratch on a 95, I would get:

New rear springs(JGC or lift springs from an aftermarket company, coil springs are roughly the same no matter where you get them from)

New front UCA's (Rough Country or Superlift, Calmini UCA's are great but spendy...$$$)

New shocks all around, slightly longer than stock in the rear (Rancho 5000's for general use, Rancho 9000's for adjustability...Pro-Comp shocks work well and are pretty cheap too)

Steering stabilizer (Rancho or Pro Comp)

Steering system (L&P for just the centerlink and idler arm/idler arm brace, or Calmini for the high-dollar fix)

More agressive tires, but not necessarily much bigger ones. I'd stick with 31's or 32's to not over-stress the steering. (You pick, it's your Pathfinder ;) )

L&P Performance. I run their center link and idler arm and love it! They use a stock center link and beef it up with new ends and bushings and back it all up with a 5 yr gaurentee. They are also about half the price as anyone else. Id really recommend them and have never heard a real complaint about their products.

www.lpperformance.com and for the UCA's, you can get em about a hundred bucks cheaper from roughcountry. Also, ive been told that the JGC coils in the rear will sag easily with some weight in the truck.. and that the Ford ones are pretty stiff. I just ordered some from 4x4parts.com to rid of any doubt and headaches. Sooo... UCA's, Rear Springs, Upper Ball Joints came to about $300 bucks. (im not complaining at all) :beer:

I have CALMINI's 3" Lift Kit also. I'm very happy :D with it. My next purchase will be beefier frontend steering components and a rear locker. -bounce-

Keep us informed on how the rebuild is coming for ya!

Good Luck! :beer:

hey Folks thanks a lot. That L&P is very interesting! Might be a less expensive way to go about it.

I think I will forgo the torsion bar upgrade for now but I still want to do a lift and replace all of the primary suspension parts and ALL rubber bushings etc.

I think I will use the L&P to upgrade the steering side.

The suggestions are much appreciated.