Help! torn CV boot

KILLVOX

Hey all,

I just noticed that i have a rip in one of my front outer CV boots pssd . I heard that you should replace it right away. Does any one have any directions or pics on replacing one? Thanks

Here is a write up on how to change out the half shaft.

CV Replacement

Somewhere I saw a write up with pictures on how to do this, but I can't find it. I will keep looking. When you do yours take some pictures and do a write up. sly

I know I am going to have to replace one of mine soon.

The CV's don't spin in 2WD, so a ripped boot on a Pathfinder isn't that big of a deal, but fixing it involves removing the axle completely, so if you're not in the mood to do that it may be a better idea for you to wrap some cellophane around it or something, heh.

I just did the outer CV boot on mine on the weekend. I had done the inner ones last month, and when I was installing the right hand axle I caught the outer boot and put a tiny hole in it. Had hoped it would last, but it started throwing out grease last time I was in 4wd collecting firewood. I don't mind getting firewood when you get to play in the mud at the same time.

Anyhow, as I had already done the inner ones getting the axle out was no prob (follow instructions in Garage - installing CV axles) I used a flexible CV boot (Duraboot, all though there are others eg, Mecatech) so I didn't have to dissassemble any of the joints. They supply you with a cone and you slide the boot over the cone onto the joint. It was a bit of a bitch getting the last bit of the boot over the cone, but got there in the end. Would reccommend you go down that road as dissassembly of the joints can be a PITA.

Cheers

Al.

Give me a PM if you want more info on the removal etc.

Edited by NZ Terrano Owner