JGC coils

norcaljoe

OK here's the problem. I put in JGC coils, removed rear swaybar and now if I get a little to flexed in the back one of my coils will pop out. Any suggestions? Maybe I got duped and was given the V6 coils instead of the V8. What about spring spacers, would that fix the problem? Here is a pic of it flexed to the point where I can move the spring around easily, any further and it comes out.

Flexed

The link isn't working for me. :shrug:

It could be that you weren't duped and just bought some worn out springs.

Maybe you should try the JGC lift springs (the ones to lift a JGC that is) that we were discussing a while back, seems like they'd be less likely to fall out.

Hey norcaljoe, my guess is that you have some combo of wrong springs, cut them too short, or insane flex... I looked at some of your pictures, and you do seem to get a lot, but maybe it is the 3" body lift fooling me. I know that 88 when through some effort to keep the springs as long as possible (heating the pigtail and bending it rather than cutting) AND added a 1" stiff rubber spacer, so maybe that is your answer. If you lose one again, or just pull it, measure the length of the spring; I'm sure someone will chime in with theirs... Also, measure the coil thickness. I seem to remember .51"-.57" as a variance that 88 has noted between sets.

Marysville eh, I lived in Lincoln for a year, and rode dirt bikes under the bridge out there when I was a kid. Good to hear from another 'local'. Maybe this summer we go for a trip, I miss the foothills. Ever been to lake Sterling or Lola Montez off of cisco grove (Hwy 80) or gone to Forrest Hill ??

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Bernard

SC88Pathy, you could be right about the sagging springs, it seems that with no load they should be sitting a little more straight up than they are now. They seem to be compressed more than some of the other pics I have seen.

Precise1, It's nice to hear from somebody that's heard of this stinking town. Everybody still plays down under the bridges but they have brought in a private company to run a dirt bike track down there, so it's hit and miss if you're going to get ran off the property. I'm still relatively new to the 4WD areas around here and haven't been to the places you're talking about. I've been to the high lakes north east of sterling city and on the four dice trail off of highway 80. I would definately be up for a trip this summer, keep me posted! I cut the springs instead of bending the pig tails, but not much. I think I'll try the spring spacers and see what happens.

The JGC coils I have measure .58 coil thickness, nine coils tall, approximately 16.5-17.5" tall. I have no way to tell why, but the coil springs I've seen from different JGC's have had varied coil thicknesses, but they ALL have 9 coils. That's a good way to tell which coils you have. Cherokee coils only have eight coils.

The interesting thing to think about is: stock Pathy coils have a spring rate of about 150 pound-inches. Going up in coil wire diameter, even in only tenths of an inch, drastically increases the spring rate. A Pathy spring made with .52 wire would be about 175 lb-in, .54 is 205, .56 is 240, and .58 is 275.

even in only tenths of an inch

Yo, 88, dont you mean hundredths of an inch, or were you trying to say something like "even only in a few tens of thousandths of an inch" ??? You are going to confuse people and they are going to go out looking for Kenworth springs.... Sheesh... :P

norcaljoe, if you think Marysville is a stinking town, you aught to try Lincoln !! My front end is still messed up from an accident, but I hope to get that finished soon. I could show you a few places off of hwy 80...

B

Thanks for the specs 88, I went out and counted the coils last night and I figure about 8-1/4 which makes sense with the amount I cut off. Next step is to find some calipers.

Good luck with that front end Precise1.