Why is Engine in a Slant

taff

Does anyone know what our 3.3 liter sit on an angle? Are there any benifits to this design, like lowers the center of gravity in boxter engine. It seem like it is bitch to work on, such as changing spark plugs.

Do you mean a front-to-rear slant? It's probably so that the transmission and t-case clear the floorpan. Otherwise, you'd have a huge center hump between the front seats (like the Hummer H1, except not so big).

I believe he is refering to the slant 6 configuration of the engine. It really has to do with not only space, but how the motor is designed. It is balanced to fire in a certain order, but those forces must be counterbalanced to transmit the up/down force of the piston into rotational force. It's really just another design that someone came up with, which they found that worked in that particular model of vehicle.

I believe he is refering to the slant 6 configuration of the engine.

Huh? You lost me. Pathfinders have a V6, not a slant 6, so the VG33 engine design and the angle it's mounted in the engine compartment are unrelated.

Edited by XPLORx4

Sorry I did not made myself clear. I was refering to the V6 not sitting on as straight V, rather it is lopsided or slanted V. My Path is getting older, so I am doing lots of DIY. Last time I did so much DIY work was on a Chevy V8, so I am used to seeing the intake on the center of the engine with two value cover on each side. Thanks everyone for the response.

Actually, the engine is mounted basically upright, not slanted, as you described. There are 2 valve covers, also. Since the VG33 uses port fuel injection, the drivers-side valve cover is buried under the aluminum intake manifold. If you removed the intake manifold, you'd see that the engine sorta resembles those old carbureted V8's you used to work on.

I agree though, that the intake design does make it difficult to get to the spark plugs, especially the #6 plug near the firewall.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree.. the # 6 plug was a real bitch to replace ..

I replaced the other 5 plugs once and left it alone for a month when i said ill give the # 6 plug another shot .. this time the boot snapped off easily and i finally got to replace plug # 6 easily..