change of the Y pipe

chapter

I have a leak from the Y pipe. Last time I went to the muffler shop to change one gasket to solve this... It was Ok for a couple of days and it started to leak again... The flange are too rusty. So, I much it cost about the change all the Y section until the catalyser???

Thanks!

The basic price for the Y pipe from almost everywhere is $200. However most of these do not come with any of the heat shields. The pipe comes very close to the floor pan right under the drivers feet. Now who cares if it gets hot on the floor, but the heat takes off the paint and under coating. Then the floor rusts out and you have real problems. In this area Nissan is dumb on how they built the heat shield. I am at the point where this weekend I replaced the floor pan under the driver. Now what to do? I guess I'll try any wrap the pipe with heatshield from Summit. I know this will hold in the heat , but it could also rust out the pipe fast.

Guest El_Madmaster

Lol a few weeks ago the floor caught on fire underneath my feet thanks to this. At least we had a gatorade on hand. We took out the carpet and put a small metal plate under there and its been fine ever since. Definately a nasty hole under the pedals though.

Never had a Fire, but did have a nice hole under the pedals on my 88. My 93 is still good. I guess that could be another benefit of the Body Lift, it puts some air space between the floor and the exhaust.

The basic price for the Y pipe from almost everywhere is $200. However most of these do not come with any of the heat shields. The pipe comes very close to the floor pan right under the drivers feet. Now who cares if it gets hot on the floor, but the heat takes off the paint and under coating. Then the floor rusts out and you have real problems. In this area Nissan is dumb on how they built the heat shield. I am at the point where this weekend I replaced the floor pan under the driver. Now what to do? I guess I'll try any wrap the pipe with heatshield from Summit. I know this will hold in the heat , but it could also rust out the pipe fast.

Yup! *where's that smoke coming from?*

I caught fire (the carpet and underlayment) on the drive back to town from a trail run.

By the timeI had cut away all the rust from the hole in the floor, I had to replace a good portion of the floor board.

I've since added my own heat shield there and that keeps the temp right down.

I just tack welded a sheet of metal right on top of the exhaust pipe.

If it's gonna cost $200 for parts plus labor, you might look into upgrading your exhaust. It might cost you a few more bucks for headers and labor, but in the long run, you'll be happier. Sorry, I have this mentality that if I'm gonna replace something, I might as well upgrade it while I'm there. It serves me pretty well, and I am enjoying the new mods so far.

M.M.