Gearing

kmgar99

I just had 32" tires put on and, as i already knew would happen, i have lost some power. A while ago I remember seeing a chart that you could use to help pick a ratio that would help get you back closer to the stock ratio, depending on the tire size you had on the vehicle.

Can anyone help? I know some of you have changed gear ratio's....so what worked and what didn't...BTW I have a 97 with an LSD.

Thanks

You don't even want to consider it unless you have major $$$ laying around and nothing better to do with it. The only place to get different gears is NISMO parts from the dealership.

The ring and pinion gears for the rear alone are $500. By themselves. Not installed.

Try going from 31's to 33's sometime, it's even better I tell ya! ;)

Thanks 88.....i'll check the dealership and be seated when I do. I wanted to go 33's but I would heve had to do major surgery on my front fenderwells. Plus I drive the Pathy 40 miles to work each day, through some good size hills. Maybe I should spend the money on a new intake, and exhaust.....that might make up for a little bit of the lost power...

Thanks again

Thanks 88.....i'll check the dealership and be seated when I do. I wanted to go 33's but I would heve had to do major surgery on my front fenderwells. Plus I drive the Pathy 40 miles to work each day, through some good size hills. Maybe I should spend the money on a new intake, and exhaust.....that might make up for a little bit of the lost power...

Thanks again

Oh for sure!!!! I figured you would have done that already or first. It will definitely help. With my 98, I also got a good improvement in performance by swapping in NGK Iridium plugs and ngk wires. Also cleaning the TB! :aok:

I just had 32" tires put on and, as i already knew would happen, i have lost some power. A while ago I remember seeing a chart that you could use to help pick a ratio that would help get you back closer to the stock ratio, depending on the tire size you had on the vehicle.

Can anyone help? I know some of you have changed gear ratio's....so what worked and what didn't...BTW I have a 97 with an LSD.

Thanks

You have an SE, right? So that would mean you have the 4.636 gears. Some Fronties (and Xterras?) came with 4.9xx gears in the H233Baxles, if you could find a donor vehicle with this ratio, it would save you some cash. B) Other than that, I'm not sure how much higher you could go with gear ratios, if at all, with the H233B :blink:

Thanks

You have an SE, right? So that would mean you have the 4.636 gears. Some Fronties (and Xterras?) came with 4.9xx gears in the H233Baxles, if you could find a donor vehicle with this ratio, it would save you some cash. B) Other than that, I'm not sure how much higher you could go with gear ratios, if at all, with the H233B :blink:

True, Ive been thinking of finding a donor, but i think a new set of gears might be better. Off to my local Nissan dealer to see what they got.

Dude, I don't know why you're even considering it. If you can find someone reliable other than the dealership to install new gears in your stock diffs, I'd be surprised. You're not going to get your money back on that one AT ALL. It'd be amazingly cheaper to go back to 30 x 9.5 tires and just leave it at that. Bottom line is, you can't have your cake and eat it too on this one.

$2500 for two R/P sets and install with an ARB rear? Nice.

Two sets of gears from NISMO: $1000

One ARB rear air locker: $690

One ARB air compressor: $225

Install cost for both front and rear gears, run-in, install of ARB locker and air lines: ?????(I'm thinking along the lines of another $1000 with all the work that needs to be done)

Total:

At least $2915. Ouch.

Again 88....you're right. Like I said before I think an intake, and replace my now leaky exhaust along with a few other performance enhancers would be money better spent. And i will NEVER go back to 30's...I'll by a commuter car before I go back to 30's.

I guess the time in my life has come for me to SLOW DOWN! I really do like pushing 90 up and down these hills though. But I guess i'll have to settle for something a little lower on the speed meter.