Off-road Lighting

Heyo yall, my first post so I don't know how this will go. But does/has anyone messed around with more on the custom side of lighting attachments such as putting amber strips in the fake vents on the front of the hood or custom headlights? I'm still fairly new to the Pathfinder scene, coming from trucks but picked up mouse (my 94 Pathy) for $500 and wanna attempt a overland/pre-runner build and when it comes to lighting, aside from pods I'm not finding much out there. That is aside from lights for the D21, but I'm not sure how they fit with the WD21 body.

Yeah, those "fake" vents are not fake. They are functional and I recommend leaving them be.

As for lights I used a old brush guard to mount two driving lights and two fog lights from IPF. They were awesome!

Posted (edited)

:welcome:

It is possible to fit the D21 sealed-beam headlights. You will need the buckets, grille, and corner/parking lights, and you'll need to change the light plugs. (It's generally recommended to build a relay harness for these rigs anyway, both to preserve the switch and to make sure the lights are getting full power.) I'm not crazy about the look, but it does open up a lot of options for better lights.

I've seen people swap LED pods in place of the factory fog lights. Could be done cleanly if you can find the right size of pod.

I had Hella 500FFs on my front bumper for a while. They were great when they were aimed right, but they wouldn't stay aimed right. I've got a cheap lightbar now, which does not have that issue. It's not a 1:1 replacement for the Hellas (it's more of a flood light), but it's good for spotting deer off to the sides. I've got it wired so it only works with the high beams, so I don't have to deal with two separate switches when there's oncoming traffic.

For the hood vents, sounds like you're talking about something like Raptor grille lights. I haven't seen it done, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might be tough to make it look intentional, though.

4 hours ago, Frenchy said:

Yeah, those "fake" vents are not fake.

There are holes all the way through the vents, but they're about the size of coin slots, and the hole in the hood behind them rests against the rubber strip that goes over the core support. I think my door seals let in more air than the hood vents do.

Edited by Slartibartfast