How bad is the repair?

I am considering buying a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder with 190k miles as my first car for 400 bucks from my friend. This vehicle has been involved in an accident. I plan on taking it to a mechanic's shop to see what work does it need. Do you guys think I should get this also how bad do you think the repair job would be based on the pictures? Thanks again.

https://imgur.com/a/qRq0L1x

The parts that would be hard to fix aren't the parts you can see in the pictures. It obviously needs a bumper, a fender, and some work on the core support. Can't tell if the suspension, inner fender/strut tower, cooling system, or subframe are messed up. Check the alignment.

Engine bay looks clean. Worth checking when the timing belt was done last. If it was done at the recommended mileage, it's about ready for another one.

• Like 1

For 400 bucks I would gamble on it. Pull some wrecking yard panels (might get lucky with the same colour), and straighten out the core support.

The core support is just sheet metal. It'll move. You may have to get a little creative depending on the tools you have. You could probably do most of it with a hammer and a block of wood if that's all you've got. Go slow. Check the other side to see what it should look like. Make sure you know where the wiring is so you're not smashing something important with the hammer. Try not to kink stuff. Don't beat on the parts that aren't messed up. Looking at the picture, it looks like it's only messed up outboard of the headlight. I would try to get a ratchet strap on the part that's pushed in the most and pull it forwards (hook the other end to another truck or a tree or something), and/or start beating it from inside the wheel well with the deadblow. As you straighten that out, the twist at the top should start straightening out, too.

The core support doesn't have to look good--you just need to make it line up to the new fender and get it straight enough that the headlight bolts up and points straight enough ahead that you can adjust it properly.