Pulled distributor not on tdc.. marked nothing. Please help

So rookie moment, pulled the distributor trying to get to the valve cover without even thinking. Wasn’t at tdc and the rotor probably moved several times. I need help with what to do next. 1990 vg30e. What notch do I set the harmonic balancer? Where should I face the rotor? 

Unfortunately I can't really attach pictures to this form because it's special. That said if you got an eco club and open up a service manual for a '93 or even a 94 Pathfinder you can find the procedure on how to set this. You'll want to go to the engine mechanical or EM section. Everything you need should be in that. Also keep in mind that cylinder 1 is on the passenger side of the vehicle at the front of the vehicle

:welcome:

Turn the crank until #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke (balancer lines up and both valves on #1 are closed--if you only check the balancer then you have a 50% chance of getting bottom dead on the exhaust stroke instead), point the rotor towards where the #1 plug wire goes on the cap, and stick it in there. Fire up and time it to 15 degrees +/- 2 (you'll need a timing light), then check it again once it's warmed up. If you can't turn it enough to get the timing where you want it, you'll need to pull it back out, turn the rotor one tooth the other way, and put it back. The service manual explains the marks and the timing specs. Cardiagn.com has a '90 manual, which will be correct for more of your truck than the '94/95 on Nico--but it looks like the '90 doesn't show the timing marks, and the '95 does. EF&EC-25 in the '95.

The good news is that the dizzy does not drive the oil pump on these, so there's no sticking a screwdriver down the hole trying to get a pump drive spun to just the right spot to where the dizzy shaft will engage with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2024 at 8:54 AM, Slartibartfast said:

:welcome:

Turn the crank until #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke (balancer lines up and both valves on #1 are closed--if you only check the balancer then you have a 50% chance of getting bottom dead on the exhaust stroke instead), point the rotor towards where the #1 plug wire goes on the cap, and stick it in there. Fire up and time it to 15 degrees +/- 2 (you'll need a timing light), then check it again once it's warmed up. If you can't turn it enough to get the timing where you want it, you'll need to pull it back out, turn the rotor one tooth the other way, and put it back. The service manual explains the marks and the timing specs. Cardiagn.com has a '90 manual, which will be correct for more of your truck than the '94/95 on Nico--but it looks like the '90 doesn't show the timing marks, and the '95 does. EF&EC-25 in the '95.

The good news is that the dizzy does not drive the oil pump on these, so there's no sticking a screwdriver down the hole trying to get a pump drive spun to just the right spot to where the dizzy shaft will engage with it.

x2 to what he said. I've unfortunately done this a bit too many times, and always seem to get the unlucky 50/50 odds. lol. Not a huge deal if it's not right. Just pull it back off and line up to the actual TDC.