👋 98 SE 4x4 in NC

Hey all,

New member here.  Got my 98 SE 4x4 last fall with about 98k miles single owner.  Drove one in college in the late 90s and loved it.  Was in the market for an inexpensive project vehicle that I could learn some auto mechanics on and turn into a capable 4x4 for some outdoor activities.  Since I've been able to get the engine in good shape by changing belts, fluids, seals, water pump, as well as upgraded the suspension with an KYB/OME lift.  I was also able to cash in on the strut tower rust recall. This website has been a treasure of info and am glad registration is back up.  Looking forward to participating and keeping this place going.

245160106_pathy(2).jpeg.916e5746d41c39b0e40c4f053b91d9ea.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

:welcome: Looks like a clean rig!

Thank you!  Its in great shape other than some understandable 25 year old car stuff.  Its driving really smooth on the road after replacing shocks/struts and the engine is quiet. 

The coating is wearing from the wheels/starting to flake.  The front corner end bumper covers are rusted thru, currently covered with some chrome tape (looking for a pre-facelift r50 with chrome to pop up at one of my pick your parts).  The front seatbelts don't retract (though I've heard they are under lifetime warranty so I might try with the dealership).  Other than that its really nice and well cared for.

The seat belt issue is common. My understanding is that everything before '02 or '03 is lifetime (after is ten years), so the dealer should cover it. Here's the TSB for what they try before replacing the whole belt assembly. Mine ran a little faster after I cleaned out the gunk. An earlier version of the TSB has you slide gauze or cheesecloth in between the belt and the ring and polish the gunk off that way, worth a try if you don't have the right size of wire handy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The seat belt issue is common. My understanding is that everything before '02 or '03 is lifetime (after is ten years), so the dealer should cover it. Here's the TSB for what they try before replacing the whole belt assembly. Mine ran a little faster after I cleaned out the gunk. An earlier version of the TSB has you slide gauze or cheesecloth in between the belt and the ring and polish the gunk off that way, worth a try if you don't have the right size of wire handy.

This is great info. Thanks 🙏 

• Like 1