Strut spring insulators question

RyanCo

Hey all-

I'm putting together some new struts for my 97 R50 with OME HD coils and KYB struts.  At this point I think I have all the parts except 54034+A

Or shown on this one as 54034N and 54034NA which appear to be spring insulators?

J40100J2___L.png

I do have 54034 (without the N NA or +A) which is a rubber seat that goes up inside the Seat (54036). 

I found these insulators here-

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-seal-rubber-fro~54034-0w010.html

But a bit ouch at another $80.

A few questions then, what is the top one and does it need both one insulator on the spring, and another inside seat?

And for the bottom one, my current struts don't have any rubber on the bottom like that, is this necessary?  And/or is there are 3rd party or universal one that would work?

Worse case I'll just bite the bullet...just thought I would check because on other threads I didn't see any mention of people ordering these parts.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought those top hat rubber insulators myself for my lift about a month ago with a discount at my local Nissan dealers website.  Shipping is free if you ship to the dealer.  Don’t go nissanpartsdeal, they overcharge and take forever plus I’ve had bad experiences with trying to return stuff that came damaged.  

It’s just one rubber seat underneath the tophat (54036) in the exploded diagram.  I believe 54036 and 54057 are one unit or possibly welded because when the struts are disassembled they have always been permanently affixed from what I can tell.

As for what you need to replace, well that depends on you.  Don’t replace anything metal as those parts should be totally functional unless you live in the salt belt but even then they should be fine.  At the most you should replace (54050M) strut boot, (54034) rubber insulator seat, (54325) strut bearing, (54329N) top plate gasket, and (54034NA) coil sleeve.  

Now my 0.02, I had to replace my strut boot because it was degraded but not necessary if yours is fine.  (54329N) can be cut out of cheap paper/cork/rubber gasket kits found at your local auto parts store.  Now as for the coil sleeves I never understood why it showed one at the top and bottom as the coils are flat ground at the top anyways so you couldn’t fit one around the top coil.  Mine never came with one.  Therefore you only need one for the bottom and that’s if you really want it. Most people do not replace the coil sleeve on the bottom.  I said what the hell and got these nice Eibach ones with adhesive on the inside to keep it adhered.  Part#: Eibach CS5002L  they work a treat and I believe they come out cheaper than than the factory ones.

Other than that I’d order a clamshell coil compressor design from Amazon it makes the job a hell of a lot easier.  Trick is you can send it back once you’re done and get your money back since their return policy is so good.  

• 5 months later...

Old thread but I'll put this here for anyone wondering similar. I got a set of 4 universal spring insulators on amazon for 20 bucks and put them on the bottoms of my front springs.  I didn't put an insulator on the top because there's a thick rubber seat that's already there.  The universals fit and work well.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5X9JNH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1