Lifts and Tires

Matthew

I just got a 2002 4x4 SE Pathfinder about 3 months ago, and I had a question about suspension lifts, since it seems almost impossible to find a body lift for the "02. I was wondering what exactly does a suspension lift do, and how does it differ from a body lift?

Also I was wondering if anyone has any 255/65R16 all-terrain tires, and where did you find them?

Well, first off, youre right - there is no such thing as a bodylift for our pathfinders... we have a unibody truck, as opposed to a seperate frame & body.

as for the lift, I have 2" lift coils from AC, which are stiffer coils than the stock ones, so the truck sits higher... you also want to look at upgrading the shocks & struts to handle the lift...

Do a search on here, and other boards, you will find lots of info... That's what I did before purchasing mine :)

And WELCOME!

Second that. If you look the springs themselves aren't any longer than the stock ones, however when they are under load they do not compress as much causing the truck to sit higher off the groud. This gives room for slightly bigger tires which will also increase your clearance.

You have basically two options, the AC 2(3) inch lift available from 4x4parts.com and the Old Man Emu 1 inch lift. The 1 inch lift basically clears the truck enough to put one size bigger tires on. The idea behind the OME lift is that it allows for CV joints in the front 4x4 equipment to be at a less extreme angle, preventing premature wear.

You can search, there has been alot of discussion of these topics on here.

Good luck and welcome!

A suspension lift increases the distance between the axles/tires and the chassis by altering suspension components, such as a springs, torsion bars, A-arms, etc.

A body lift increases the distance between a vehicle's frame and its body. This only applies to vehicles with body-on-frame construction.

The 96-04 Pathfinder does not have a separate body on frame. It uses a "monoframe" chassis, in which the "frame" and "body" are fused into one unit, or "unibody." Therefore, you cannot get a body lift for it.

The available lifts for the Pathfinder provide clearance for larger tires and better off-road capability, as well as providing enhanced "truck-like" looks. All of the known recommended lifts replace the coil springs on all 4 corners. The stiffness of the springs determines how high the truck sits (1" to 3").

With regard to the tires you specified, do you have a particular brand in mind? Search tirerack.com for that tire size to see what's available.