But stench from heating/ac vents!!!

Guest 91Pathfinder

Guest 91Pathfinder

I own a 1991 Pathfinder that has bad indigestion problems or something. He smells fine when im moving but when I stop he farts this gut wretching sulfur-like smell out of the interior vents! It's unbearable! Does anybody know what could cause this and how I can fix it? :oops: (Tums don't work) :help:

Step outside sometime when you smell it and sniff your tailpipe. If you almost hurl, yup catalytic is kaput. Mine was the same way so I took a big screwdriver to it and it doesn't stink anymore. ;)

Guest 91Pathfinder
Does it come from the heater vents or from elsewhere?

Yup, it's from te heating vents, my only suspicion right now is that something got into the vent intakes just infront of the windshield, I do a lot of splashing around in swamplike areas. I dont think it's from the Cat because i just got the exaust worked on like 1 yr ago and the cat is fine. besides, you would think that if it was from the cat it wouldnt pass emissions.

this is a really "out there" suggestion, but if you think its just some mold or bacteria related kind of thing (from the swamps), buy a can of lysol dysinfectant and empty the whole thing into the vent system while its going. Im not sure if it will work for you problem, but i read that people have to do it to their 98 - 00 neons due to condensation in the AC/heater system and then bacteria growing in there. Fixes the problem right up and makes the vehicle smell all purdy too!

worth a shot anyway.

LOL

Well like someone already said maybe a squirrel or somethin crawled in there and couldnt get out :)

Or you've got new life forms evolving in your ducts.

That you only smell it when stopped makes me think whatever it is is more towards the outside grills.. is it only when set for fresh air or recirc as well?

I found that my drain tube was plugged with mud and allowed condensation from the AC to build in the tray and get all crappy and stinky. I didn't find it until I made a hard right turn and dumped fluid (I won't even call it water) on my passengers feet. Open up her up and clean it out. Make sure the drainage is good. Good luck

Guest 91Pathfinder
You can remove the heater fan pretty easily from underneath the dash on the passenger's side and see if anything's in it.

Lol, now that you mention it, I did find like a half o' bag of m&m's in that one little vent just below the steering wheel, I wonder whats been eating them? I havent checked the passenger side fan though. Guess I know what I'll be doing in autos class tomorrow.