Best front suspension setup for light duty plow setup

RyanCo

Hey all, I recently got a  97 pathfinder and I plan to put my DK2 plow on it-  I only backdrag my gravel driveway and have a 17 space commercial property in Denver and generally do it in stages before too much snow build up, so I go pretty easy on it (I know many will suggest a solid axle truck, but I really do go easy on it).

Anyway, it needs new struts in the front and wanted to see if you all had any recommendations other than stock parts?  It seems KYB is popular here, is any model there more durable that others?

Also, would heavy load front coils be a good idea-

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981313-pathfinder-heavy-duty-front-coils.html

I'm not really looking for any lift, or planning any lift on the rear, would it still drive OK with the plow removed in the summer?

Thanks!

I would expect heavy-duty front springs to change the ride or at least the rake in the summer. I think our plow rig (old IH Scout) has standard front springs, and they do just fine. 

My only reservation with putting a plow on an R50 would be figuring out how to mount the thing to the unibody. It's bolted to the frame on the Scout, and those mounting points take a hell of a beating. This might give you some ideas for mounting, if you don't already have that side of things locked down.

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I would expect heavy-duty front springs to change the ride or at least the rake in the summer. I think our plow rig (old IH Scout) has standard front springs, and they do just fine. 

My only reservation with putting a plow on an R50 would be figuring out how to mount the thing to the unibody. It's bolted to the frame on the Scout, and those mounting points take a hell of a beating. This might give you some ideas for mounting, if you don't already have that side of things locked down.

The plow I have actually has a factory mount, it replaces the tow-hooks in the front on that part of the frame- if you look there, the pathy is kindof a hybrid frame (they call it a ladder I think), like a 4runner etc.  So it does have *real* frame rails up at the front.   I really do go pretty easy on it (7ft plow) and I'm going to put a poly cutting edge on this winter as well which slides over bumps even more easily.

And yeah, I know it will stand tall up front with the heavy-duty springs and no plow.  I don't drive a ton in the summer, do you think it would be a big problem?  What downside would you expect if it was ~1" higher in the front?

I could also replace the rear shocks/coils with something that adds a lift back there too eventually...

Thanks for the feedback!  Any thoughts appreciated, I haven't messed with any sorts of lifts much so any input there helps.

Edited by RyanCo