Will the o2 sensors trip the CEL?

I have a 97 and after some "spirited driving" the exhuast cracked and completely separated on both sides right after the 45 from the cat. The driver side sensor is open to the air now and isnt getting any exhuast airflow, but the check engine light is staying off. Is this normal, could i remove the cats without having the ecu hate me? It would be sweet if i could just rebuild the entire pipe without the cats. Thanks for any input but im sure this wouldnt work as ive had "inefficient cat" dtc's before. Idk, do you guys?

Not sure I follow where the crack happened...on the exhaust manifold before the cat near the upper sensor, or after the upper cat before the lower sensor?  We love pics of broken things here.

Generally speaking, I don't think an O2 sensor throws an immediate code, but I would think there's probably a Pending code if you were to scan it that will eventually move to a Stored code after a number of trips.

As far as removing cats...I mean, there are VG33 headers available that accomplish that...though not sure if any were specifically for Pathfinders, but they'll fit the block.  And not all R50s had lower cats; only CA-emissions trucks had lower cats, Federal had resonators.  Lower resonators and straight pipes are available from RockAuto.

Alright, ill take a pic but i have to down scale it first. Ive driven several hundred miles with it all screwed up an no light yet, ill check the code later aswell