94 Pathfinder odometer stopping working

xylicon

I noticed today that the odometer on my 94 stopped working at 228,999 miles and has been stuck there for probably quite some time. The speedometer still works and so does the little digital trip odometer in the bottom left corner. My google-fu has failed me and I have no leads on where to start looking. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

The problem is internal in the cluster. You will need to remove the instrument cluster and send it out for repairs. I have not seen that exact symptom before but there is nothing else it could be.

Agreed that it sounds internal to the cluster, as it's clearly getting signal from the speed sensor if the speedo and trip odo are working. I haven't had a round-dash cluster apart to see what makes it tick, but I assume there's a little stepper motor in there that turns the odometer. Stopping on 999 suggests something wasn't up to turning four wheels at once. Might be some schmutz binding up the mechanism. Hopefully it just stalled out the stepper, rather than breaking a little plastic gear somewhere. If it's like the square-dash cluster, it should come apart without too much fuss. 

• Like 1