Turns On, Won't Start

PamPoovey

I get dashboard lights and I hear the "click" (is that the starter?) Nothing else. I think I hear the fuel pump whirl noise, I just never thought that's what that sound is...

In January, I had someone I was led to believe knows car stuff, replace the timing valve cover gasket.  He did a very sloppy job like leaving things hanging that obviously shouldn't be. I found a hose clamp lower on the hose like one does, when they temp going to disconnect a hose (which I suspect why it had thrown the P1130 code). About 2wks ago, the battery / brake light would randomly stay on when it did start, but would go off in minutes. I found a flathead screw driver resting against the power steering pump. The vehicle has behaved since. Now, 2 wks have passed, I wanted to go home from work, and it was dashboards lights only. After at around 10 attempts to start, it finally started. I work at Autozone, had it tested when it first did the brake/ battery light so the battery, starter, and alternator came back as good. There's an aftermarket alarm, that was installed in 2016. 

Sounds like it's the starter. If it does start after several attempts and the engine cranks quickly, meaning the battery is well-charged, it's likely the starter solenoid. I had a similar problem a few years ago. I would try to start the engine, but it would just click. After two or three quick twists of the key, it would finally start. I replaced the starter and all is back to normal.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, XPLORx4 said:

Sounds like it's the starter. If it does start after several attempts and the engine cranks quickly, meaning the battery is well-charged, it's likely the starter solenoid. I had a similar problem a few years ago. I would try to start the engine, but it would just click. After two or three quick twists of the key, it would finally start. I replaced the starter and all is back to normal.

If OP is handy, they could potentially bench test the starter (or maybe on the vehicle?) with 12V leads. If it seems to be working fine, my next thought would be the ignition switch, maybe.