Poor, poor Pathy...

88pathoffroad

Had to take the DS front axle out of the Pathy today...the inner boot came off completely and spewed grease on everything.

poorpathy.jpg

So THAT'S what happens when you overextend a C/V joint and keep wheeling on it. Ow. The inner cup contact surfaces are all galled and beat up from the tripod joint hitting it at full extension. The axle itself has beat marks as well, but not that bad.

bruisedcup.jpg

Time for a C/V axle rebuild! ;)

hey 88, instead of you rebuilding the axle, why don't you clean everything out and do a solid axle swap. i'm sure you're capable of doing it. i'm sure it'll be much cheaper to rebuild it anyway. a buddy of mine was telling how now alot of people are saying that IFS are more popular than solid axles. i would disagree on that.

good thing i don't have 4wheel drive. don't have to worry about bustin up cv axles.

good thing i don't have 4wheel drive. don't have to worry about bustin up cv axles.

Some of us would consider not having 4 wheel drive a larger concern :D

I second the SAS though, if anyone on here needs to do that, its 88 :-)

As soon as I win the lottery, yeah. Until then, I'll just be rebuilding stock IFS parts and trying to make them better. ;)

Junkyard axle: $10

New boot kits with grease and clamps: $24

Rebuilding the axle myself for $34: Priceless. ;)

Um, that looks more like blatant contact and abuse than galling.. ;) I could have sworn that galling was something like "close metal fit rubbing, heating, surface deforming, and binding", not beating the he!! out of the housing !!! :P Salute to rebuilding it, and your mechanical skills... Where did you learn this ? Innate skill, mentor or just too much free time ? Regardless, well done.

B